Word/Excel 2013 is saving frequently used files to an unknown location

Good day,

I've been using Office 2013 for a few months now. Only recently (now that I am using it more frequently) it has been behaving strange. When I save some files (not all), it will relocate the file from where it was (C:\Users\{USER}\Desktop\Documents) to some Network Shortcut folder (C:\Users\{USER}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts). The default save location is set to the Documents folder.

Why is it doing this and how do I stop it? The files are being moved out of my automatic backup location.

This is using Office Profession Plus 2013 on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Hi Matthew,

Does the issue occur with all files or specific file?

If it is with specific file, what is common in those file?

Do you face the same issue with other Office applications?

Provide us more information to check and help you better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems to be occurring with files that I open repeatedly. I only use Excel and Word but it is happening in both programs (files saved as recommended formats).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue where the Office apps kept defaulting to a Microsoft Roaming Network Shortcuts folder rather than the default folder I specified in the Office | Options | Save setting.

From other posts I saw, it looked like it was a privileges issue.  Having recently upgraded my PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I decided to go to c:\users\[userid] and right click Documents and select Properties.  I clicked on the Security tab, highlighted my userid and unchecked / checked a permission so that the Apply button would be active.  I clicked Apply and Windows set the privs on all the folders and files in the Documents directory.

Now, when I go to save my documents, the Office apps go to the folder I specify in Options.

Hope this helps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2023 Views 227 Applies to: