word having trouble opening documents through windows explorer

hi, does anyone know why, or can tell me where to find out:

i normally open my documents by double-clicking on the file in windows explorer. it has worked until recently (i think there was a windows update yesterday).

now some of the files only open as read-only files every time even if the file is my own on my hard drive. even after clicking on "edit document" it still stays read only. i can re-save it but then the next time i open it i have to go through the same thing again. other files wont open at all, there is an error, something like "the file cannot be saved by the converter" (i have a german windows so i'm translating).

HOWEVER, everything works if i open word first and then open the files directly through word.

does anyone know what is happening or what has happened?

many thanks,

wil

Answer
Answer

Hello Wil,

Provide us the complete error message you receive when trying to open documents.

Does the issue occurs with all the documents saved on the computer?

Does the issue occurs only with Word documents or any Office files on the computer?

What is the file format of the documents which opens as read-only?

If you’re able to open within the application, this might be an issue with the file association.

Follow the steps mentioned below on how to create the file associations for these files:

1. Right click on one of the document.

2. Click on Open with > Choose default program.

3. Now choose ‘Microsoft Word 2013’.

4. Ensure to have a check mark in the box reading ‘Always use the selected program for this kind of file’

5. Click OK.

Let us know the results to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 103 Applies to: