Word 2013 very slow editing (Windows 8.1) even with small documents

Recently, Word 2013 has begun to respond extremely slow to my typing, even with very small documents. I work on a Windows 8.1 64-bits system that performs well otherwise. The problem is always there, but the degree varies over time.

Sometimes the effects of typing are lagging up to 15 seconds or so, at other times about 2 seconds. I work on documents for publishers, which have hardly any formatting, and only  a few dozens of pages.

What I've tried so far: disabled hardware acceleration and animation, repaired Office, rebooted PC, all to no avail. Also, running Word in safemode has no positive effect whatsoever. After the repair, my macros are gone, so these cannot be a problem. Ive got no add-ins installed and do not work in the cloud.

PS:

By the way, Word has worked fine for a year or so, so I guess there is no problem with video card drivers and the like.

How can I troubleshoot this behavior besides the steps I've taken already? Or can I remedy it without the need to troubleshoot?

Cheers,

Django

EDIT: I've only just remembered that I've recently changed the way I work: As a translator, I write up my translation in the source document. I make the text I've dealt with invisible (with Font > Hidden Text). I now see that when I click 'show symbols' (or whatever this is called in the English version -- I don't know), the responsiveness is as it once was!

So, I've at least a workaround, though I would like to see this behavior changed. It seems as though MS Word, needs time to calculate how to paint/display the hidden text. Or is that far-fetched? Note: Each document I'm currently working on contains exactly one image, which is also marked as hidden.

I must still run some tests to find out the effect of keeping or removing that image.

Answer
Answer
Thanks for these observations. I have never heard that hidden text could make Word slow. Have you tried treating one of the affected documents as corrupt? For example, copy all the content, minus the final paragraph mark (¶), into a new, blank document and see if that affects performance.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 588 Applies to: