Word 2013 Vertical Ruler

I have the vertical ruler displayed in Word 2013, but I don't see, at the bottom and top of the ruler, the arrow that I used to click on to move to the next or previous page.  Has this been taken out of 2013?

Thanks.

The "arrows" are on the "scroll bar" on the right side of the application window

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, but the bottom of the screenshot below shows what's missing on my screen and in your screenshot:  the double arrows at the top and bottom of the ruler.  Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Beemie

The thing you are talking about was known as the Select Browse Object button (and the browse buttons themselves) and appears to have been dropped in Word 2013. This is a real shame.

The same functionality can be arrived at but it is a massive step backwards in functionality. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/page-up-missing-from-vertical-scroll-bar-in/2e13c11d-d92b-43fb-b06e-0b648e1ca59a

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  I thought that was the case.  It was so much faster than having to use ctrl + page down,  They seem to take away the strangest things.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since MS does not bother to reply to these types of questions, I can provide their "canned" reply.

Any time you see some "stupid" (that is what it is typically called by the user who has been negatively affected) design change, especially one removing functionality, if MS deems to reply their will always say that they have "usage statistics" to prove that "most" people don't use that function so "not many" people are affected by the decision.

The "statistics" come from the "report use" option that many (most?) "advanced" users turn off to prevent corporate spying on their use (no one really knows what is being reported ...)

One of the managers in charge of the (unfortunate) development of the ribbon documented much of the process, including how "statistics" affected the decisions.

Jensen Harris 2007 Blog - Ribbon UI rationalizations

Microsoft’s traditional Windows and Office interfaces have grown more complex and inscrutable over time. (Microsoft always claims it conducts extensive user interface research, but still revamps the UI every chance it gets. It must be using a different species of alien each time.) In a touch-oriented environment, rows and rows of small, undecipherable icons just don’t work. Someone at Microsoft seems to have realized that, and perhaps Office for ARM will be truly usable. That alone could move many users away from the “heavy” x86 version of Office and, thus, Windows.

Jensen Harris: An Office User Interface Blog - A LOT of reading, it provides insights into the design of the Ribbon and the underlying (il)logic of the design.

http://abc.salem.consulting.home.comcast.net/~abc.salem.consulting/services.html

- A PDF collection of the blogs, easier to read than the original blogs (257 pg). There is a button on the bottom of the page to download the PDF.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/table-of-contents.aspx

This is an organized Table Of Contents to a large collection of links to MS Dev Team Blogs about the design and building of the 2007 ribbon.

Why the Ribbon

Why the ribbon, in Word 2003 and earlier MS Stats show:

• only 13% of commands/ features are actively used
  • of new feature requests, only 6% did NOT already exist

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. "Statistics" is always the answer MS provides for this type of question. Unfortunately, when you are one of the "advanced" few who use a feature that has been removed you are greatly inconvenienced, and usually very unhappy about it.  But by then the decision has been made and MS basically never retreats on a decision.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to view and you will the rule feature. check the box and you will see the vertical and horizontal rulers immediately.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can not see the vertical ruler in word 2013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't see the vertical ruler in Word 2013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,255 Applies to: