Word 2013 to PDF Conversation doubles file size

Our enterprise upgraded to Office 365 small business, and with that comes an upgrade from Office 2007 to 2013.  Since the upgrade, whenever we convert a word doc to a pdf, it doubles the filesize.

The file before is a general newsletter created in word, about 350k in size.  Normally, we would convert to pdf, making it around the same size (with word 2007), but now, when we do the same steps in 2013, it makes it over 700k.

We check the box to make it smaller (minimum size (publishing online), but beyond that, we don't do anything else.

I'm not looking for ways to make the word doc smaller, I'm looking for ways to make the converted pdf the same size as the word doc.

Again, this issue started with the upgrade from 2007 to 2013, it is NOT an adobe issue, it is a Word 2013 issue.  I can replicate the exact same steps on the same computer using word 2007, and the pdf created is right around 350k.  I do the same thing in 2013, and the pdf created is over 700k.

I read somewhere that word may include the source file in the conversion, which we don't want, but I can't find the option to remove anywhere.  I'm not sure if that will solve the issue or not, but it is a start.

Try the different PDF options available in the Options dialog that appears when you click on the Options button in the Publish as PDF or XPS dialog.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Try the different PDF options available in the Options dialog that appears when you click on the Options button in the Publish as PDF or XPS dialog.

I've tried all of those settings to no avail.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2 Applies to: