Word 2013 - 'The directory name is not valid' error

I recently installed office 365 home premium, and have been running word. i transferred all my schoolwork from a usb flash drive to skydrive so i wouldn't have to use the flash drive. i found that it was a bit slow, so i saved a copy of the work onto the hard drive. After this i renamed both the hard drive and the folder my work was in to a better suiting name. i opened word to continue my document. using 'open other documents', i located my work on the hard drive and attempted to open it. i receive the error message 'the directory name is not valid (C:/.../English - THE BRANDON SECRET F...)'
Answer
Answer

I found the problem. I had moved an entire folder (with the work inside) from skydrive to the hard drive. when I tried to open a file, its location was listed as "C: CharliesWindows" (which is the name of my hard drive). it should have been listed as C:HOMEBUSH (which is the name of the folder inside the hard drive). in word, I located the same file with the 'HOMEBUSH' location and it works fine. I also located the file in file explorer and it worked fine from there as well.

I can't work out why there are two copies of the same file in the hard drive, one in a folder and one not. I looked in file explorer and there is only one, the one that works fine. Yet from Word I can still find the problem file in recent documents.

Thanks for your help, everything is working well at the moment.

- Charlie Prentice

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 9,522 Applies to: