Word 2013, Table of contents with numbers

Geeez, I know once I figure this out it will be sweet, but until then!!!
I am attempting to create a table of contents on a previous document.  I have removed all formatting and then create TOC for my titles (2.0 Reference Documents, 3.0 Terms and Definitions ect)  I can't get the numbers to hang they move and the letters move too when I am trying to get them in the location I need them. I would like the title to line up with the body copy and the numbers to hang to the left.  Can someone tell me exactly how to do this?

I go to styles and click a style, make adjustments to size etc use numbered bullets to add the numbering and then I am not able to make adjustments to the title.

How it should look...
  1. Reference Documents
          Body Copy Body CopyBody CopyBody CopyBody CopyBody CopyBody Copy

How it looks
  1. Reference Documents
                    Body Copy Body CopyBody CopyBody CopyBody CopyBody CopyBody Copy

The numbering will sometimes  be long 8.3.2.1 so how can I edit the numbering to reflect that?

Thank you, details please...
T

Answer
Answer

In the Table of Contents dialog, (References tab, expand the Table of Contents item and then click on Insert Table of Contents), you need to change the Show levels from 3 to 4 in the General section of the dialog

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Did you click the numbering button as I suggested or did you try to construct the numbering yourself following  Shaunna Kelly's instructions?

Wait...You do have a heading 5.6.1, don't you?   If you want the computer to skip numbers, that's another question all together.    Let's get the basics first.  Once you get a working numbered list, we can tell you how to skip numbers.
Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2023 Views 5,078 Applies to: