Word 2013 Table Layout Change (Why)

Anyone have an idea why the misguided brainiacs at Microsoft have conspired to completely foul up the Word 2013 default table layout?

In all previous versions of Word that I can recall, when you insert a table in a document any text in the first column is left aligned with the document left margin.  The table left border (displayed or not) is left indented by the value of the table left padding). 

In a Word 2013 document (a real one, not one in compatibility mode), the table left border is now alinged with the document left margin. In other words it is FUBAR.

Why?  This obviously was a deliberate change, but I've found nothing from MS addressing a reason for the design change.  In almost 20 years using Word, I don't think I've ever wanted my table border to align with text on the left margin.  Now, due to this change, I have to fix every ill formatted table that I insert in document.

I've created a macro that works decently for new tables I insert and maybe it will help others fix this mess.  Just insert a new table, put you cursor in the table an run this code:

Sub FixFUBARWord2013TableProperties()
Dim oTbl As Word.Table
Dim dblWidth As Double
Set oTbl = Selection.Tables(1)
dblWidth = oTbl.PreferredWidth
If dblWidth = 0 Then
  dblWidth = ActiveDocument.PageSetup.PageWidth - (ActiveDocument.PageSetup.LeftMargin + ActiveDocument.PageSetup.RightMargin)
End If
oTbl.PreferredWidth = dblWidth + oTbl.RightPadding + oTbl.LeftPadding
oTbl.Rows.LeftIndent = -oTbl.LeftPadding
End Sub

Answer
Answer
The change is documented in the Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2740483/en-us/ (Changes in content layout between Word 2013 and earlier versions of Word).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
About half of my corporate clients take get pains to adjust tables so borders do not go into the margins.  This is particularly true if their document formatters have experience in typesetting (old school) or with professional desktop publishing software.  Even other word processing products keep table broders within the margins.  As far as I know, Word is/was the outlier on this issue.  Drove me crazy when I first used Word 17 years ago.  Table borders outside the margins was just another reason it took my department 6 years to convert to Word.   If I am formatting a book, I definitely adjust the tables. For business documents, such as proposals, I leave them alone. 

So maybe corporate complaints drove the change

Pam

Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,950 Applies to: