Word 2013- Print preview- White Space at bottom of page

Hello Microsoft Community,

I am having a problem removing the white space at the end of a document. This white space only shows up when I go to print. I have tried to play around with margins and everything else I could try to look up on the subject. There are no footnotes or anything. Like I said it only shows up when I go to print. The top, left, right all have just a small gap of white between the doc and the edge of paper but the bottom seems to have about a inch of white space.

Any help in removing this or just making it about the same size as the rest of the edges would be appreciated .

Answer
Answer

I suspect this is due to limitations of your printer rather than Word's settings. Word can only print to the margins determined by your printer driver. Other software packages may allow you to set up pages with ink right to the edge but when you print from those software packages, you will discover that the edges don't get ink there.

Most printers can't print right to the edge of the paper since the toner/ink would spill everywhere and make a huge mess of your printer's internal machinery in no time. The bottom of the page typically has a much larger margin since this is where the printer rollers hold the last bit of paper as it is feeding out from the printer. Different printers allow different minimum margin sizes but in my experience, inkjet type printers require a big bottom margin similar to what your screen capture shows.

Pretty much all 'full bleed' printing (where the colour goes right to all the edges of the paper) is done by printing onto larger pieces of paper and then chopping off the edges after the ink has dried.

You have options to get the margin equal on all sides:

1. Chose another printer with different physical limitations

2. Cut the excess off one edge with scissors/guillotine after printing

3. Bring the other sides in to match the big margin at the bottom

A variant of option 2 is to print onto 'oversize' paper (such as A4 extra or even A3) and then chop all edges so the paper becomes the intended final size.

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2024 Views 5,191 Applies to: