Word 2013 is reporting the incorrect user agent to the website

Hi all,
   First off, I'm under an NDA so I can't provide weblinks. That said, we have an author that is sending out Word Documents with hyperlinks to one of our websites. However when she clicks on the links in Word 2013 on her new Dell XPS (with the latest IE version she says) the User Agent is being reported to our server as IE7 and prompting her to upgrade her browser to the latest version of IE.
   At this point I'm uncertain if she has fully updated her current version of Windows, but if she's still having an issue after that, could someone direct me toward where to look to fix what Word is declaring/seeing as the User Agent?
   I know this is vague, so if there are too many questions pertaining to what may be causing this, let me know and I'll get the required data.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers!
ESTV

Hello,

From the description it looks as if the problem occurs while accessing a hyperlink to a particular website. So the first thing would be to check how hyperlinks to other websites work.

The next thing would be to check the system requirements to access the particular website. You may also provide the exact error message that comes up while accessing the hyperlink.

Ensure to set Internet Explorer as the default browser and then try accessing the hyperlinks.

Refer to the following link to make Internet explorer default browser:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-10

In case if that doesn’t help, do get back to us and we would be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

The User Agent string which is sent even by Chrome browser (default one) when opening link from Word 2013 is MSIE 7.0 . Why is this? Websites that do not support MS IE 7 won't be able to open correctly or might be redirected to an unsupported browser page.

Could you offer a solution for this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 50 Applies to: