Word 2013 is pure garbage which will want to make you throw your keyboard out of the window

Back in my college days, I loved Microsoft Word. 

I used it for virtually everything I needed reduced to type.  Letters, term papers, essays and even articles for the school newspaper were a dream to type on Word.  Recently I allowed my office to switch over from Wordperfect to Word 2013, because my new office management software would not integrate with Wordperfect.

How bad could it be, I thought.

What a complete disaster.  It's not bad enough that I have to hear my employees complain daily about how bad this program is. I have to deal with it myself.

What a piece of sh-t.  The autoformating garbage will make you want to scream the very first day you use it.  Then as you learn to deal with it, you find that the program is defective, in that it will not let you change the settings it purports to enable you to change.

For example, on Friday my office manager came in to my office, frustrated that she tried to change the layout of a document from portrait to landscape.  She went to the settings and changed "portrait" to "landscape," but word simply kept printing it out the same way, ignoring the change.

Today, I tried to revise a document, including removing the page numbers at the bottom.  I went to the settings and checked-off remove page numbers.  Word ignored it, and will not permit me to remove the page numbers.  I can't believe that I just paid for word processing software for multiple computers in my office, and it will not let us choose whether or not to have page numbers in our documents.  They must be kidding with this sh-t.

I can't believe how they have turned what used to be a great program into a complete piece of garbage.

It is so bad, that I am actually considering finding NEW office management software, just so I can get rid of Word.

If anyone is considering changing over from Wordperfect to Word, DON'T.  You will regret it!

Oh, yeah, and don't even get me started on Window's 8 a/k/a the dumbest OS ever shoved down the throats of computer users.  I'm glad I bought a single laptop computer with Windows 8 to try it out before making a decision of whether or not to load it onto all of my office computers.  Thank god.  Returned the laptop because of that piece of cr-p windows 8.    The only thing I can conclude is that whoever is now running things at Microsoft must be perpetually high on crack, or is taking bribes from Apple to cause Microsoft to pump out software that is so bad that people will switch over to Macs out of sheer frustration.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You might try and move to Office 2010.   Office 2013 is to Office 2010 as Windows 8 is to Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for the suggestion William.  I just paid for multiple user licenses for 2013, though.  I will look into whether Office 2010 is compatible with my office management software.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found that Word 2010 has more flaws than a camel has fleas.  It won't do both page numbers and footnotes. Put in one, the other disappears. And it keeps putting the same footnote on every page. 

Delete from the pages you don't want it on, it disappears from the one you do want it on.  Add the footnote you want to a page, it deletes other footnotes and puts the one you just typed on all of them. 

So I too am searching for another Word type program.

Jaz

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In your thread here, I explained how to get a footer (not a footnote) and a page number together. Have you looked at that reply and tried it in your document?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the fleas comment.  What I cannot comprehend is what kind of idiots are running Microsoft these days.  Do they not know that their programs don't work, or do they just not care

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe you and RollingStoneGal should spend more than a few nanoseconds learning how to use the product... Word is NOT WordPerfect. Expecting it to behave the same in every respect is utterly unreasonable.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe you and RollingStoneGal should spend more than a few nanoseconds learning how to use the product... Word is NOT WordPerfect. Expecting it to behave the same in every respect is utterly unreasonable. That's rich. You must be a comedian. I don't expect it to behave the same in every respect to Wordperfect. What I do expect, it that it actually work, and more specifically, that its features "work." So for example, when a click on the selection which says "remove page numbers," I expect it to remove the pages numbers. Trouble is, MANY of Words functions do not work, because the geniuses at Microsoft were so proud building the program is such a way that there are 11 different commands to perform the same function, they were too stupid to figure out that half of the commands no longer work. It's always quire entertaining when one of my staff members complains that a function on Word does not work, and someone had to "show them" that while the function does not work, they can obtain the function they need by "doing it another way." Isn't that great? Microsoft built Word so that they give you MULTIPLE ways to do the same thing, but only SOME of the ways actually work, and USERS have to GUESS which ones are the ones which actually work. And let me tell you, it takes a lot more than "a nanosecond" of wasted time to figure out how to unnecessarily work around all the non-working functions in this once-great, but now-abysmal program. And don't even get me started on all of the moronic "automatic" features in Word, which drain productivity in any office, while employees are forced to wrestle with the program to stop it from doing things they never wanted it to do in the first place. That wastes a **** of a lot more time than "nanoseconds."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe you and RollingStoneGal should spend more than a few nanoseconds learning how to use the product... Word is NOT WordPerfect. Expecting it to behave the same in every respect is utterly unreasonable. That's rich. You must be a comedian. I don't expect it to behave the same in every respect to Wordperfect. What I do expect, it that it actually work, and more specifically, that its features "work." So for example, when a click on the selection which says "remove page numbers," I expect it to remove the pages numbers. Trouble is, MANY of Words functions do not work, because the geniuses at Microsoft were so proud building the program is such a way that there are 11 different commands to perform the same function, they were too stupid to figure out that half of the commands no longer work. It's always quire entertaining when one of my staff members complains that a function on Word does not work, and someone had to "show them" that while the function does not work, they can obtain the function they need by "doing it another way." Isn't that great? Microsoft built Word so that they give you MULTIPLE ways to do the same thing, but only SOME of the ways actually work, and USERS have to GUESS which ones are the ones which actually work. And let me tell you, it takes a lot more than "a nanosecond" of wasted time to figure out how to unnecessarily work around all the non-working functions in this once-great, but now-abysmal program. And don't even get me started on all of the moronic "automatic" features in Word, which drain productivity in any office, while employees are forced to wrestle with the program to stop it from doing things they never wanted it to do in the first place. That wastes a **** of a lot more time than "nanoseconds." I'm not sure why you insulted us by saying we should spend more than a few nanoseconds trying to make Word work when you seem to share our frustration with it. I've been trying for over 2 years to write documents with it and always run into the same problems when it comes to page numbers and footnotes. And , no, I never expected to be the same as WordPerfect as I never used that. My first experience with Word was the version that came with WindowsMillenium and later XP and now Windows7. ME and XP were ****, but those versions of Word never gave me any trouble.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I couldn't find your reply but I'll try again and if I find it, I'll try your suggestion and let you know. 

Thanks. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's very insulting. I've been struggling with this for 2 years and I'm not comparing to WordPerfect as I've never used that. Is Bill Gates paying you to insult people who have problems with Word? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated June 20, 2022 Views 22 Applies to: