Word 2013: How do I prevent images from automatically updating when a file is opened?

In Word 2013, if I have a linked image in a file, the image is updated automatically when the Word file is opened. Is there some way to disable this, so that the images only update manually (i.e. via the "Edit Links to Files" dialog)?

When I go to the "Edit links to files" dialog, the "manual update" and "locked" options are greyed out (otherwise I would have tried that). 

If I save in compatibility mode, then select "Edit links to files", I can check the "Locked" box to prevent it from updating, but using antique file formats seems like a horrible solution. 

Isn't there some way to do this in newer versions of Word? Why are these controls disabled?

File>Options>Advanced and scroll down to the General section and uncheck the box for "Update automatic links at open."
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I already tried that and it doesn't make a difference. They still update on open when the box is unchecked. (I've tried it both with "Insert and Link" and "Link to file" when inserting the image.)

It's Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013, if that makes any difference.  The word version is

Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2023 Views 395 Applies to: