Word 2013 has locked access to all Word documents not created on my system

For example, if someone emails me a word document (in any version), I cannot open it in any manner -- not by clicking in Outlook, not by saving and chosing open, not by opening via Word.  I have to save it, right click for properties and choose unblock.  Then, I can open it.  However this is a new thing since updates were installed a few days ago.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled and "fixed" too many times to count.  Nothing is working. I tried setting the trust settings -- not working that way either.

Is there a global fix for this because I am about to uninstall office 2013 and go back to trusty 2007 because that actually works.  Thanks.

The feature is designed to protect you from yourself (and your friends)

However, you can disable it by selecting Options from the File tab and then click on Trust Center and then Trust Center settings and then click on Protected View and uncheck the box for Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Already did that.  Doesn't work.  There is a glitch somewhere....i even went through the "fix" for a corrupted normal template in the off chance it was related.  No go.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And an added little twist -- some files I can "unblock" manually and they will open.  But, others, for no apparent reason, once manually unblocked, still do not open.  Is this a known problem with the last updates that came through?  Or, has something gotten corrupted?  If so, any ideas as to what that is/was and how to fix?  Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2023 Views 932 Applies to: