Word 2013 freezes when trying to use Find & Replace

I have Word 2013 with Windows 7, all updated to the latest versions. When using Word it freezes every time I try to use find and replace. I have tried the repair mechanism and it still occurs. I ran it in safe mode and the find and replace worked fine. I have already disabled all of the add-ins and the freezing is still occurring. Can't find anything relating to this particular issue... any suggestions?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Since the issue does not occur in application safe and disabling the Add-ins does not help, let us try the other steps mentioned in the following article and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

I hope this fixes the issue. If you still have issues, you may reply and we’ll be happy to help you.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply Girish.

I have tried everything on the page you referenced and nothing seems to help the freezing situation when using Find & Replace. The only items I was unable to try were the startup folder file renaming (no files in my startup folder) and the addins have already been disabled.

I cannot think of anything else, although there is still no freezing when opened in safe mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Does the issue occur with one file or all Word files?

If the issue occurs with all Word files, you may restart the computer in Windows Clean Boot and check how it works there. Restarting the system in clean boot would disable all third party software services and helps eliminate software conflicts.  This would help us to determine if any third party services/applications are causing issues.

Refer to the link below to know on how to start the computer in Clean Boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer to normal mode (Step 3 in the above link) once the troubleshooting is completed.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this exact problem. I have also done all of the trouble shooting mentioned above. This began after the last time I updated windows. I uninstalled the update and even did a system restore but the problem persists. I also have difficulties with Excel locking up but have not yet identified the exact reason for Excel. Both applications simply stop running at various times. But they lock up about every 10-15 minutes. It's totally annoying.

I am concerned about doing the Clean Boot because of this line from the link you provided:  "If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable."

Any other ideas? I am really tired of restarting the software every 10 minutes. Thanks! Sheri

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is your computer connected to a network?  By that I mean as in an Office environment, not just to your home network.

If you are in an Office environment, you should seek the assistance of the network administrator.

Otherwise, there is little risk in starting your computer in clean boot mode.

See the Article “Why can’t I start my Office 2013 application at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

If that does not help, then you might remove all traces of the Office installation by downloading the fixit from the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

saving it to your computer and then running it.

Then reinstall Office by logging into
www.office.com/myaccountwith your registered email address and click Install Office.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried to follow all of the instructions but Word fails every time every document when using Replace All and Excel fails on the same command

I have tried clean boot

I have tried FULL repair and partial repair (several times)

The programs can't start in Safe Mode with Networking or pure Safe Mode

I have tried to disable add-ins but, for some reason, I am told to log in as an administrator when I already am and my admin credentials are accepted everywhere else

I have gone as far as I can with suggestions from reputable sources and I have spent way too many hours doing it

Until there is a fix, I am experimenting with Office substitutes and will sadly use Office only when I have to -- not my  preferred solution but I doubt you will refund my money

This is all taking place on a new Win7 64 bit Lenovo T530 with factory installed software.  I would love a solution that will keep me using the product but am not hopeful.  Will check back here periodically but cannot spend any more time in debug mode

Thanks

Marty Silverman

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you send me a typical document that causes the problem with information on what you are trying to replace and the replacement and I will investigate the issue.  What version of Office are you using?
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same exact problem. Any solutions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

In order to resolve this issue let us know the following:

1. Is this happening with one document or every Word document?

2. What is the version and edition of Microsoft Office installed on your computer?

3. Have you checked if Word 2013 works fine in Safe Mode?

If not, then we will try opening Word 2013 in the Safe Mode. Follow these step:

1. Hold the Windows key down and press R.

2. In the Run box that opens type winword /safe (note there is a space between winword and /) and click on Ok.

3. If you are not able to open the Run box then follow this step; click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run and type in the command winword /safe and click on Ok 

This action will open Word 2013 in the Safe Mode. Check if Word 2013 freezes while trying to Find and Replace.

If Word does not freeze, disable the Add-Ins for the application and check the result.

• In Word 2010/2013 click on the File tab (top left corner).
  • Go to Options.
  • Click on the Manage drop-down button and select COM Add-ins and then click on Go.
  • Try disabling the Add-ins – clear all the options and click on OK to save the changes made. Note: In case you see some Add-ins getting checked again after applying OK it is still fine. Ignore and proceed further.
  • Check now if you are able to use work normally without the issue appearing again. 

In case the above step does not resolve the issue then after completing COM Add-Ins follow the same steps as above and check under Word Add-Ins to see if there are any Add-in there which needs to be disabled. If yes, proceed with the same steps as mentioned above.

Check if the above step helps you to resolve the issue.

Note: In case if it works briefly and the issue returns after a while then make sure to navigate back to Com Add-Ins and Word Add-Ins (following the steps as detailed above) and remove / un-install the Add-ins from the list.

Check the above and let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issues with Office 2013. Tried all the steps including disabling COM Add-Ins, but the issue remains. Its not just any particular doc or type, but having issues with Word, Excel. Powerpoint doesnt seem to have this issue. I tried using Win97 (.doc) format, but the same issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2023 Views 55 Applies to: