Word 2013 Does Not Save Documents In .RTF Format Correctly After Conversion From Word 2003

I attached four documents in .rtf format and one document in .doc format to an email and sent it to myself from my old computer (Windows XP, Word 2003) to my new computer (Windows 8.1, Word 2013). I opened all five attachments and all documents appeared to be complete. After converting the documents to Word 2013 and saving them in my DOCUMENTS folder, I discovered that all the .rtf documents were truncated. Below is the process I followed for two .rtf documents and one .doc document:

Action: double click email attachments

Results: (protected View); Footer: ~280 pages [each document is a slight variation of the others]

--------------------------------------------------

Action: double click Downloads BHNWHSFF.rtf

Results: (protected view); Footer: 280 pages

Action: click ENABLE EDITING

Results: BHNWHSFF  (compatibility mode); Footer: 280 pages

Action: click FILE/Convert/OK

Results: BHNWHSFF; Footer: 279 pages, 67667 words

Action: click FILE, Save As, Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHNWHSFF Rich text format, SAVE

Results: BHNWHSFF  (compatibility mode); Footer: 279 pages, 67667 words  [all of the original document is visible]

Action: double click Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHNWHSFF Rich text format

Results: BHNWHSFF  (compatibility mode); Footer: 192 pages, 67667 words [only the first 192 pages of the original document are visible]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Action: double click Downloads BHMontagRev1.rtf

Results: (protected view); Footer: 281 pages

Results: BHMontagRev1  (compatibility mode); Footer: 281 pages

Results: BHMontagRev1; Footer: 280 pages, 67947 words

Action: click FILE, Save As, Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHMontagRev1 Rich text format, SAVE

Results: BHMontagRev1  (compatibility mode); Footer: 280 pages, 67947 words  [all of the original document is visible]

Action: double click Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHNWHSFF Rich text format

Results: BHMontagRev1  (compatibility mode); Footer: 25 pages, 67947 words [only the first 25 pages of the original document are visible]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Action: double click Downloads BHCassie.doc

Results: (protected view); Footer: 284 pages

Results: BHCassie  (compatibility mode); Footer: 284 pages

Results: BHCassie; Footer: 282 pages, 68877 words

Action: click FILE, Save As, Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHMontagRev1 Word document, SAVE

Results: BHCassie; Footer: 282 pages, 68877 words

Action: double click Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHCassie Word document

Results: BHCassie  (compatibility mode); Footer: 276 pages, 68877 words [all of the original document is visible]

CONCLUSION: the DOWNLOAD folder document displayed by Word following a SAVE in rich text format is NOT THE SAME as the document actually saved in the DOCUMENTS folder.

I would save the attachments from the email to the local drive and then right click on each in the File Explorer and select Properties and then click on the Unblock button.  Then use File>Open in Word to open the documents.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been asked to post an update on the status of the problem I described in the original thread.

I am still unable to save an RTF file created by Word 2003 using Word 2013. Upon exiting Word 2013, a compatibility conversion takes place, and when I re-open the saved file, The document has been truncated. The page count is a fraction of the original page count, and a large part of the document is missing, although the word count is correct. This phenomenon happens whether I save the document in RTF or DOCX format. NOTE-three MS Tech Support people duplicated the problem by remotely controlling my laptop and performing the same process I performed.

I emailed the Word 2003 RTF document to Doug Robbins of MS Community. He did NOT observe the file truncation following the same process I used. Both RTF and DOCX files were complete after saving, exiting, and re-opening the files.

My conclusion is that I have a flawed copy of Word 2013.

How do I obtain a replacement copy of Word 2013. The version of Office 2013 I bought only allows one download.

I would appreciate any help you can offer that will enable me to successfully save Word 2003 RTF files using Word 2013.

Sincerely.

Paul A. Bussard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would save the attachments from the email to the local drive and then right click on each in the File Explorer and select Properties and then click on the Unblock button.  Then use File>Open in Word to open the documents.

I have lost  rtf files completely and regret using it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should be able to download the installation file again from MS. You must have your 25 character Product Key

Head over to officesetup.getmicrosoftkey.com (which is an official Microsoft download page) and enter your product key.

But, I don't think you have a "defective" office installation.  That would be more likely to cause Word to CRASH, or to create corrupt files rather than truncated ones.

Since your truncated files still open, they are not corrupt, it is unlikely you are encountering the usual truncation problem associated with storing files on USB devices.

The next more likely cause is a bad interaction with a Word addin, although I have not heard of this specific problem.

Here are some generic trouble shooting procedures for you to try to identify the cause of your problem:

Trouble Shoot Word
A General Starting point when Word does something unexpected

<snip>

As a general rule, when something seems to be going wrong, or at least not the way you want it to go, in Word “menu’ go to Tools and then Options, in Word “ribbon” go to File then Options, and study all of the various options, both turned on and off.

You may even get lucky and find some other settings that you want to try that have nothing to do with the current problem.

When I was teaching Word and other Microsoft Office programs at a private business college, I had three rules:

1. Always check Tools Options
  2. When in doubt, right-click on something
  3. If you’re wondering how to set up a special kind of material in a document, consider whether Word tables are suitable. The placement officer of the school came to me several times and asked how I thought she should set something up. Each time the answer was, “I’d use a Word table.” By the fifth time she had stopped asking--she got the point.

</snip>

A good, simple quick fix is “Boot your computer”

The simplest fix is shutting down your computer normally and restarting it. Often subtle “corruption” happens to create unusual effects. Shutting down and restarting the computer resets all of the loaded software, often clearing up strange problems.

Trouble Shooting Procedures for Word problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, 2007, 2003, or 2002

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541  2003-2010

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820919-2002-2003

NOTE: part of this procedure is disabling addins. If you want to take a shortcut, check to see if you have a BlueTooth device driver or addin, ie “send to Bluetooth”, installed. Disabling BlueTooth is rapidly moving to the top of my Office trouble shooting process. Blue Tooth drivers have been identified as the cause of problems with many different “random” symptoms. If you have BlueTooth, disable it in control panel, device manager and possibly as an addin in Office apps.  It’s not that I think there is anything inherently bad with Blue Tooth. The problem is with the people writing the drivers.

Shortcut to Start Word in Safe Mode or Excel in Safe Mode, Hold <CTL> key when clicking on icon or using the Start menu search window and entering WINWORD.EXE /a  or  WINWORD.EXE /safe  Don’t Assume ANYTHING!

Don’t assume some part of the trouble shooting processes listed below doesn’t apply to you. Often there are things going on in the background that you just aren’t aware of. For example, when installing software it is all too easy to have an unwanted app installed if you don’t carefully read every screen.

Uninstall Recent Software

At this point, you have also think about any software or plugins that you may have installed on your computer. Annoyingly, this problem with Word can be caused by a program that is completely unrelated to Word!

Did you recently install some new hardware? A printer, scanner, label machine, web cam, tablet, etc? Have you installed any software? If so, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. 

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2024 Views 4,384 Applies to: