Word 2013 Document Themes Have Disappeared

I teach at a high school running Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2013.  Over the past two weeks, the computers in my lab have started losing a number of document themes (Design tab...Themes).  Most computers now only show 9 themes instead of the usual 20 or so.  I have tried logging into different computers, but I cannot see the other themes.  Interestingly, when our technician logs into my computer, she is able to see all the themes.  So, it does not appear that the themes are no longer on the computer.  Does anyone know what would cause themes to appear for one user, but not other users? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Are your computers connected to a Network or Server? According to your description of the issue, this issue seems to be a network/server based issue. If yes, then your query would be best addressed on the Office IT Pro forum. We request you to post your query on the Office IT Pro forum from the following link for assistance on the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=officeitproprevious&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

In case you are not connected to a Network or Server, then please send us more information regarding the issue – number of computers affected with this issue. Type of account/login (windows account) on which this issue occurs etc.

Check the above and let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I also am a high school computer instructor with the same problem.  The Design Themes are disappearing from the computers everyday.  We also are running Windows 7 and Office 2013, which we loaded the Office 2013 on each individual computer, it is not running from a server.  Please advise.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't teach high school and I only have one computer but most of the themes have disappeared from my computer. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, the themes are indeed disappearing.  Maybe Microsoft is going to try to sell them back to you or something.  Luckily, I have three computers.  The first one I was working along in Excel trying to complete a school project and discovered that the theme that the book was asking for was not an option.  I was told by my wife that when she took the class, all the themes that the book requested were available.  So I looked on my second computer and found the themes were there.  So, I went to copy them out of the themes folder and no theme files existed for the themes that were missing.  I went back to Excel and tried to save them and discovered that NOW the themes are missing!  I thought that it was probably Microsoft doing it via update in the background as they like to do and so I disconnected my third computer from the network and powered it up.  The themes were there and I was able to save them all to .thmx files and add them back to the themes folder.  Sadly, since this forum doesn't allow for file attachments, I can't upload them here for you all to use.  However, I put the files up on TinyUpload and you can download them and unzip them to your themes folder.  You're welcome!

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=66000972094194572765

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am a college student taking a Microsoft class and recently ran into this issue after talking to about 4 different people and finally getting upgraded to an escalated call, the service rep stated that it looked like when Microsoft updated, it corrupted my Microsoft Account.  He ended up deleting my account and creating a new one and when he did that it worked.....for about two weeks, I tried to do an assignment at that time and the themes were gone again...I didn't get a chance to call, when I finally got a chance to call, I went back in and they were there again..  I now have to call again because they are now gone again.  I have Microsoft 2013 University.  I am very frustrated and need my themes, my instructor said I can use a different theme, but since it's an online class the SAM program fails me every time, until my instructor can go in manually and fix my grade.  It takes me 3x the time, because I have to manipulate the theme I use to match the one I'm supposed to use as best as I can.  Has anyone figured out why this is happening?  How do I fix it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have put a copy of the themes from various versions of Office (2007, 2010, 2013) in folders under the following folder of my One Drive

http://1drv.ms/1utd6rX

If you download the theme that you want and save it in the

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Document Themes

folder, it should appear as a Custom Theme in the Themes dropdown.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks! I am not happy with Microsoft not allowing customization of the install. This is a very bad direction they have taken

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a tech for a k-12 school district and I have a lab doing the same thing. Themes will be there then they disappear. I don't think it's user or computer related. Same user can login to the same computer the will be there then they disappear or they won't be there. I can log in, as an Admin, and they will all be there. So downloading them isn't a solution since they are there under my account.

What makes them disappear? Anyone have a solution for a lab of computers with multiple users using the same computer?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See my response of February 27, 2015 - Download all of the themes from the folder of my OneDrive and save them in

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Document Themes

and they will appear as Custom Themes in the Themes dropdown.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 790 Applies to: