Word 2013 design elements/limitations

Two years ago I bought a laptop with office starter on it and came to really like using word to create graphics. The motherboard on that laptop died so we had to buy a new one and a new office 2013 with it. I'm disappointed I can't do some of the same things I could do with the starter. For example I can't view the selection pane and I can't manipulate the blur or gradients as much as I could with the starter I had. Is there any way to use the licensing I had with my old laptop to get the starter I had before put onto my new laptop? (I still have the working hard drive from my old laptop) Or can I trade in the office 2013 I just bought to get a version that will be able to do those graphic design options I need? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you.
Office Starter is installed with an OEM license that does not allow you to transfer it to another computer.

I am surprised to hear that you could do things in Starter that you cannot do in 2013.

Which gradient are you modifying? Which blur. Please describe how you are getting to these features.  Did you know that you can adjust the horizontal size of the Format Shape pane to give you finer control over gradient stops?

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

To open the Selection pane in Word 2013, click the Select button at the right end of the Home ribbon and click Selection Pane at the bottom of the dropdown menu.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for helping me find that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I was trying to look closer at the things you mentioned I realized I had made a mistake between the old version of word and the new 2013 I recently installed. I thought office 2013 would replace my old office not remain in a separate folder. I thought I was using the new version when in fact I was still poking around the old one. I am finding all the great features now that I was looking for in word 2013.

Great tip about widening the format shape pane to fine tune gradient stops.

Thank you for your time and interest in my question. You've been very helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 348 Applies to: