Word 2013 - Data Connection Wizard

Mail merge:

When I choose select recipients, new source, other / advanced, Microsoft OLD DB Provider Visual FoxPro

Word stops working and restarts. I'm running the 32 bit version of Office (Word 2013) and Windows 8. I use an application written in Visual FoxPro and can't get the mail merge to work with Word 2013. I can create a CSV file, but cannot connect to data source using with this preferred method.

Go to File>Options>Advanced and scroll down to the General section of the dialog and then check the box for "Confirm file format conversion on open"

Then when you want to attach the data source, in the Confirm Data Source dialog that will open when you have selected the data source, check the "Show all" box to display alternative methods of connecting to the data source, and try some of them.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That doesn't work for me...  Word stops working while Microsoft looks for a solution etc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the problem still occurs after repairing the Office installation as Paul suggests, what type of file is the data source? 

If you want to send me a copy of the mail merge main document and the data source, I will investigate the issue.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am merging with data in a Visual FoxPro Table created using VFP Version 9 but saved as a prior version as this works with Word 2010.

Incidentally, I tried the repair Word function using the repair online option and this failed to run successfully but did manage to remove my entire Office Professional 2013 from my PC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,353 Applies to: