Word 2013 Crashes on Links

I'm writing a lengthy paper and linking it to Excel 2013.   I copy the link in Excel, and paste link in Word.  It looks fine, but after pasting numerous links, Word crashes and when it recovers, several of the links are no longer linked. 

When I paste the link, I right click and it shows the link at 96% x 105% and reset to 100% x 100%; then go to advanced layout and click "top and bottom" and then center the link in the margin, click lock anchor, move with text and don't allow overlap. 

This works fine until it crashes and I lose a bunch of these and have to go back and start over. 

Product Office 2013 Pro/Service Pack 1

Machine:   MSI Board, 16 gigs Ram, Corsair SS drive for operating system and programs only, 1 TB document drive; Radeon Quad video w/ 1 gig; and 3 monitors.

What am I doing wrong to cause me such aggrevation?    Do I go back to WordPerfect?

Thanks

BobC2

Hello Bob,

1. How exactly are you trying to link Excel with Word?

2. What type of links are you copying and pasting into Word?

3. Does the issue occurs with specific document?

4. Check if you’re able to insert links other than from Excel?

Reply with required details and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just want to tell you have disappointed I am in Word 2013.  

The crashes.   Here's what I was doing.

• Source of Link, Excel 2013 spreadsheet
  • Destination of Link, Word 2013 doc (*.docm, because of a few macros)
  • I would highlight and copy the text in Excel
  • Paste special, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet paste link in Word
  • I would format the object "Layout, Advanced, top&bottom"  Then "Position, alignment center of margin, vertical 'absolute position' paragraph, lock anchor and move with check, overlap unchecked"
  • sometimes it would crash.

Now the frustrating part.  I have a 70 page document and I went to check and change a link and not one of the links was working.  Every bloody link in the spreadsheet has turned into a picture. 

What's the use of having links if they won't stay linked? 

I opened the spreadsheet and then opened the document and I found one link that worked.  

What's up with the program.  I have never ever had this problem with WordPerfect.  I have written a number of technical items in WP linked to Excel spreadsheets and never had a link break.  

It just seems every time I replace / repair the link in Word, it breaks again.

Can you offer any advice?

thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Does the issue occurs with specific Excel files?

How many links does the document contains?

Check if the issue occurs with specific document.

Also provide us the event viewer logs which will display the application name which is causing the problem.

Refer to the link below for more information on how to use Event viewer in Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, one excel file I created.

No event logs found

The Word Doc contained about 40 links.

I went back and rewrote the document in Word Perfect and linked it to my excel file and no problems.  I bought my customer a copy of the WP X6 and built a template for him for him so he could use it at a later date for other customers.   I can't be giving my customers unstable or templates that aren't dependable.   Also showed my customer how to do some formula's inside the template that would pull info from the excel file.

Word is such a crappy program, while excel is very good (and much better since you put pivot tables in it).   The VBA could better.   (I like the programing tools in WP)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,607 Applies to: