Word 2013 Crash on Insert Cross-reference

Hello

I am using Office 2013 Home and Student on Windows 7 Home Basic. I have been using it without any problems for about two years. Now I find that when I try to insert a cross-reference, Word crashes.

When I click the "Cross-reference" button in the "References" ribbon, the "Cross-reference" window appears and so does the spinning wheel on the mouse pointer. The program stays in this state and does not seem to recover. When I click the top right corner of either the "Cross-reference" window or the main Word window, I get the "Microsoft Word is not responding" window, and I choose to "Close the program".

The problem happens with, e.g., a 70 page document, and it also happens with a new, blank document.

I have tried to repair Office 2013. The result was that the cross-reference function was disabled. Then I read somewhere that to bring back the cross-reference function I would have to uninstall and reinstall Office, which I did. This brought back the cross-reference function but did not fix the original problem.

I would appreciate any help!

Regards,

Paulo.

Answer
Answer

Ah, I am glad I am not the only one with this problem...

But I have some promising news. After playing around with that same test set up, two things seemed to indicate some kind of graphics issue. One was that the CTRL-ALT-DEL to start the task manager forces a screen update, and eventually Word recovers. But it recovers sooner if you start task manager, then come back to Word and click the document, i.e., outside of the cross-reference window. The other is that there was a very slight change in the rendering of the document text in Word when the spinning wheel started.

So I searched for Word display settings and found that if I choose the "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" setting in Word Options->Advanced->Display, I no longer get the problem. So it must be some kind of compatibility issue with my graphics hardware? It would be good to confirm that this is your problem too wein3967.

My display adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M, and I am running on a Lenovo Ideapad Z580.

Thanks Paul for your help. One day I hope to figure out the Building Blocks.docx behaviour. Or maybe I don't!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Excellent find. Turning off the hardware acceleration in Word fixed it immediately. I'm running a NVIDIA Quadro K2000M on a Lenovo W530. Thanks again for the solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,493 Applies to: