Word 2013 - Chart "Edit data" window does not appear

Hi there. I'm editing quite a few bar charts in Word 2013, and I've encountered a fairly aggravating problem. I'm trying to paste in new data from Excel 2013, but when I right click the chart and select "Edit data" (or select it from the ribbon) the data editing window does not appear and nothing seems to happen. I've made sure that it isn't being hidden behind another window. Selecting "Edit data in Excel 2013" will open the data in Excel, but the charts will not automatically incorporate new rows of data and the blue border that indicates the data being used for the chart does not appear either. This is very frustrating, since I'm then forced to copy another chart that has the correct number of rows and hope that the editor function works while I modify it. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone noticed this problem before? Thanks for your time!

Hi Kai,

I would need more information to assist you with the issue:

Does the issue occur while editing charts in all Word documents or a particular file?

Let us create a new blank Word document and then create a chart and try editing to check the behavior.

Provide us more information to help us assist you further.

Thank you

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Sir, Madam

I am working in editing some charts and graphs in word 2013. I do not have the original excel worksheet.  A statistician analyzed some information for me and only sent the results. I want to edit the spelling and colors for these charts and graphs and I want to change the charts style.

Please help It consumed all my time

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Sir, Madam

I am working in editing some charts and graphs in word 2013. I do not have the original excel worksheet.  A statistician analyzed some information for me and only sent the results. I want to edit the spelling and colors for these charts and graphs and I want to change the charts style.

Please help It consumed all my time

Thanks

Hi Abu,

How were the charts created and inserted in Word 2013?

Let us refer to the following links and check if it helps.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/change-the-color-or-style-of-a-chart-HA102809623.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/change-the-data-in-an-existing-chart-HA010338374.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010379388

Note: The above link also applies to Word 2013.

I hope the above information helps.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Kai,

I have experienced the exact same problem and have a solution that worked for me.

1. Click the chart and then select edit data in excel 2013.

2. Click the chart then go to the "design" tab at the top.

3. Click the "select data" button and a small window should open up. That window is linked to the excel file that you opened earlier and now you can change the data values being shown in the graph.

4. e.g. click button beside the "change data range" line and delete the formula. Then in the excel file, highlight the specific data cells that you want to show. 

Hope that helps,

Steven

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Kai,

I have experienced the exact same problem and have a solution that worked for me.

1. Click the chart and then select edit data in excel 2013.

2. Click the chart then go to the "design" tab at the top.

3. Click the "select data" button and a small window should open up. That window is linked to the excel file that you opened earlier and now you can change the data values being shown in the graph.

4. e.g. click button beside the "change data range" line and delete the formula. Then in the excel file, highlight the specific data cells that you want to show. 

Hope that helps,

Steven

This workaround worked for me. Thanks

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 15,105 Applies to: