Word 2013 Bullets Formatting Indentation from Left

Hi, I have Word 2013 on windows computer. I was going along fine in my document, formatting bullet points. I'm changing the indentation from the left manually so it will line up the way I want it to. Some of my bullet points are lining up correctly, but in between the bullet and the text there's a large (like 2 inch) gap. Within the same document, using the same process to format the bullets, sometimes it works correctly and sometimes it doesn't. HELP!! Thanks in advance.
Answer
Answer
The changes you made only applies to the list you first selected. If you want to change the defaults, do the following: Click in a bullet paragraph. Press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Type in a style name, say My custom bullet list. Click the New button. To transfer this style to your template, click the Modify button; in the Modify Style dialog, select "New documents based on this template," and click OK. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so. In the future, whenever you want this list format, apply the style via the Apply Styles pane.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
To change the indentation for a bulleted (or numbered list), do the following: Click the actual bullet symbol so that Word selects all bullets belonging to the same list. Then right-click and choose Adjust List Indents.

In the dialog box, "Bullet position" determines the location of the bullet from the left margin. By default, "Follow number with" is set to "Tab character"; you can then use "Add tab stop at" to determine the location (from the left margin) where the first line of text should start. "Text indent" determines where the second and subsequent text lines start. For a hanging indent, use the same value for "Text indent" and "Add tab stop at."

Note that if the bullet is part of a multilevel list, you won't see the Adjust List Indents dialog box, but the multilevel list dialog box. However, the principles discussed above still apply. If you want to learn more on the dialog box, take a look at http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2022 Views 250 Applies to: