Word 2013 Bookmarking and Cross Referencing...

Hi

I really hope someone can help - I'm just about to do the 'computer through the window' YouTube recap.

I'm creating a template in Word 2013. I have two Rich Text Content Control elements for a 'docname' and a 'docnumber'

These are on the (different) first page. I have assigned each of these elements with an appropriate Bookmark name (as above).

In the main document section, within the Header I have placed a Cross Reference for each of these.

From my understanding I should be able to goto Print Preview to have these two Cross References update and show me the relevant bookmarks. However all I get is Error! Reference Source Not Found.

To add what I've attempted, I've put these two initial elements in the Header of the first Section to see if that helps. Doesn't.

I've kept the template unprotected, ungrouped, unrestricted for editing yet I still get the above error.

There has to be something I'm missing or not configuring properly to ensure these work correctly.

If I toggle the Cross Reference element it displays as ' {REF number \h}', presumably this is correct for a Cross Reference.

If someone has the solution why these don't work for me I'd really appreciate a response.

Cheers

UPDATE... I found the issue... so I thought I may as well update this so that others, if they are having the same problem can check their work.

Instead of clicking only the content of the Content Control box, select the whole element (if you have the element tagged select the actual tag so the whole field itself is the Bookmarked item (not just the contents).

Hope this saves some time for some others.

FWIW, there are at least two other ways of dealing with the issue:

1 Apply unique Style names to each of the content control ranges, and use STYLEREF fields in the header to point to those Styles; and

2. Copy the content control and use Paste Special with the 'paste link' option to replicate them.

Either option should result in header content that updates immediately the content controls are updated, without the need for a print preview.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi macropod (Paul)

I thought there would have to be other ways of dealing with this 'simple' process.

I'm trying to use the Paste Link option as you've described in point 2 (may have to experiment with which  option under 'Paste Link' to use for my requirements).

Parameters have slightly changed (typical) which would probably negate me using point 2 as I need to now use a smaller font size to the header but have the same content copied. Would point 1 be the appropriate option for this?

I appreciate your input Paul...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Either of the approaches I posted would be suitable; what you're describing is a function of the destination formatting, not of the source formatting.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get a similar problem with an inserted 'Cross Reference'.  The cross reference is correct on the screen, but in Print Preview and the hardcopy from the printer the field reads: Error! Reference Source Not Found

Any suggestions for how to fix would be most welcome. Many thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That error message usually means that whatever bookmark the cross-reference refers to has been deleted.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 1,421 Applies to: