Word 2010 & 2013 CSI.dll Crash on Save Button Click

Our company has been experiencing issues with Word 2010 & 2013 crashing lately when the user has a file checked out of SharePoint and [ironically] goes to click on the Save button in Word to save and close their document- Word will lock up and present the "Sorry this program needs to close" error. 

Looking at the event logs I see that the CSI.dll module is faulting (the Microsoft Office Document Cache app) which is responsible for uploading files between SharePoint and the local machine.

This issue randomly occurs and thus far is not possible to replicate on demand but enough of my 100 users are seeing it that I see a help desk ticket on an almost daily basis across both office 2010 and 2013- our line of business involves nearly 100% work in Word.

Since I do not have many options in terms of support I decided to give posting to this forum a shot. I haven't found much online dealing with Word and the CSL.dll module (there are lots of OneDrive posts though).  

Have you experienced this issue? The issue began back in October of last year with the batch of Office 2010 SP2 updates- rolling back at this point is not possible.

Here is my environment:

Office 2010 and 2013 32-bit

Windows 7 Pro x64

Internet Explorer 10 (Can't upgrade past this yet)

All newest Windows Updates installed

SharePoint Online (Office 365)

And a copy of the event log error:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 15.0.4691.1000, time stamp: 0x54ab960b

Faulting module name: csi.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54bf6ace

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x002a0baa

Faulting process id: 0x11e4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d05a6f98e5c279

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\WINWORD.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office15\csi.dll

Report Id: d311482c-c671-11e4-8fa1-7c7a91bf0459

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 14.0.7145.5001, time stamp: 0x54e3da8e

Faulting module name: Csi.dll, version: 14.0.7137.5000, time stamp: 0x543f2886

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0004c3db

Faulting process id: 0x1e70

Faulting application start time: 0x01d05d9ece51971c

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Csi.dll

Report Id: a2a5e3b5-c995-11e4-9cff-28d24479abf9

Hi,

Thank you for asking Microsoft Community.

Since you are using Word in SharePoint Online (Office 365) environment, you may post your query in the SharePoint forum for better results:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgenerallegacy

If you have any questions related to Office suite on Windows OS, you can always reply and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For the last two days we have been getting the same error when saving an Excel document. Initially only one user. but now other users are getting it when closing Word. A different user was kicked out of Outlook.

The initial Excel user has completed Windows update of his Office 2013, and is not getting the error yet today, but did get kicked out of Outlook.

It may not be Csi.dll for the Outlook issue but is the reported one for Excel and Word. We are using SharePoint Foundations.

Terry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

From your discerption it looks like the issues with Word and Excel is fixed, but do you still have issue with Outlook?

Mention the complete and exact error message which will help us in assisting you better.

Do get back to us with more details so that we can assist you further.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem, with Excel 2013 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 terminal server with SP1.  When users open Excel-files from network drives, they get the "has stopped working" message after closing this file again.

This is the error that I get:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BEX
  Application Name:    EXCEL.EXE
  Application Version:    15.0.4701.1001
  Application Timestamp:    54e3066c
  Fault Module Name:    Csi.dll
  Fault Module Version:    15.0.4711.1003
  Fault Module Timestamp:    55376872
  Exception Offset:    0047c391
  Exception Code:    c0000409
  Exception Data:    00000000
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
  Locale ID:    2067

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID:    1043
  skulcid:    1043

I've been searching about this, but the suggested solutions don't work (disabling a COM-addon, adding Excel to DEP). I wanted to try to repair the Office installation, but I've come around other people experiencing this problem who've repared the Office installation but without a positive result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeroen,

Thank you for asking Microsoft Community.

As I suggested you in my previous post, you may post your query in the SharePoint forum for better results, since you are using Excel in SharePoint Online (Office 365) environment.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitprolegacy/threads

If you have any questions related to Office suite on Windows OS, you can always reply and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Thank you

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2022 Views 1,908 Applies to: