Why won't a selected set of cells from Excel paste as a picture in a Word file in 2013 like it used to in all previous versions?

Every month I produce my company's invoices in Excel, including formatting and totals etc.  I then copy a selected set of the cells and paste-picture them into the Word file containing the rest of the invoice information.  I have been doing this for four years.

I have just upgraded my computers which included commuting to Microsoft 8.1 and the 2013 suite of Office products.

Suddenly, if I try to paste-picture from the selected Excel cells only some of the cells come across, or none, or some other corruption that is making production of invoices this way impossible.

What is happening?  How can I resolve this?

I confirm that I have no add-ins operating, and in all other respects Office 2013 seems to be working normally.

Caryn

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I cannot replicate the issue here.

If you send me an Excel Workbook and a Word Document with which you have the problem, I will try and investigate the issue.

As an alternative, you may be able to automate the production of your invoices by using the Many to One utility on the MergeTools – 20140111 Add-in that I created that you can download from the following page of my Windows Live SkyDrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5aedcb43615e886b#!/?cid=5AEDCB43615E886B!cid=5AEDCB43615E886B&id=5AEDCB43615E886B%21566

Save the file in the Word Startup folder.  In Windows XP the default location for that folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, it is

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

When you have done that, the tab shown below will be added to the Ribbon:

One thing to note is that the field names in your data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9).

Also download the Using the Many to One Facility document that describes how to use that facility.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Doug.  Thanks for your reply.  How do I send something to you?  Is there an email address I can use?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's in my signature block.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Caryn

I don't have 2013 on this machine so I can't verify your issue but you may have more luck if you 'Copy as Picture' instead of the usual copy in Excel. This would ensure that the clipboard already contains a bitmap and so avoids the need for paste special in Word (which appears to be your problem).

To do this, add the Copy as Picture button to your Quick Access Toolbar and click this button in order to do the copy. Then in Word you can use a regular paste to put the picture in.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.  Tried that - still does the same thing.  Very weird, still pastes it in without half the picture!  Only happens on Windows 8.1/Office 2013.  Have reverted to doing my invoices this month on my old Prof 7 laptop with 2010 on it and it works perfectly. 

C

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having this issue in Excel/Word 2016 on PC.  I have always been able to copy a selection out of Excel and paste into Word as a picture with no problems - it saves me any formatting issues with tables going off the page, etc.  Not sure what changed, but as of yesterday any time I go to paste a table from Excel into a Word document, it pastes only the top left corner of the selected area.  Resizing does not bring the rest of the object into view, it just shows me that there is only the top corner of the selection pasted.  Any ideas?  I use this function on a daily basis...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

me too with office 2016. seems to have happened after creators update 1709.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this problem - office 2013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After copying the data from Excel, right click in the Word document where you want to paste the data and from the Paste Options: gallery, select Picture (U)

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps I replied to the wrong post.  I'm using vba to copy and paste a range from excel into outlook.  The copy and paste code looks like this:

emailRange.Copy
weditor.Application.Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, Placement:=0, DataType:=4

I've tried using all the various datatypes.  The result is the picture is posted into my email, but a portion of it appears to be behind my signature.  If I change the layout option to include text wrapping, suddenly I can see the whole image.  Of course I'm not looking to change the text wrapping as that makes it impossible to read the rest of the email.  

Thoughts?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2024 Views 26,440 Applies to: