Why text boundaries changed in 2013

Hiya Fellas,

I've a question to do about the new Word version.

Why, when I work with a 97-2003 .doc document of Word, It shows it normally, like the next picture.

But... When I want to work with a 2007-2013 .docx document, appears this:

It doesn't happened with the older versions, just with this 2013. You could try, and tell me if I'm lying.

If wanna activate these text boundaries, must go to File > Options > Advanced > Show Document Content > check "Show text boundaries".

Try pressing "enter" in the document, and you will see the same like in the above image.

Can you tell me what is wrong here?

Thank you.
Answer
Answer
This is not something you're doing wrong. It's a disagreement between what we users think of as a "text boundary" and what the Microsoft developers defined in the software as a "text boundary". You and I might call it a bug, but Microsoft says it's "by design". Word 2013 uses a new page layout engine, and this change is one of the side effects.

I've heard unofficially that the old layout engine had code to combine the text boundaries of consecutive identically defined paragraphs into one box, and that the new engine doesn't have that code (whether that's to speed up the calculations or just because somebody didn't think it was useful, I don't know). That explanation doesn't account for the fact that the old text boundary box went all the way to all four margins, even on a page that contains only one empty paragraph mark.

The best that I can tell you is to leave your opinion at https://feedback.office.microsoft.com/default.aspx?productkey=office.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,097 Applies to: