Why does the spacing before a paragraph/heading disappear on a new page?

It happens no matter it's separated by hard page break, by option "page break before" or just by natural page break; it also doesn't matter what the style of content before these heading is. The before spacing of my heading on second page just disappeared, I find no way to bring it back. And, it only happens starting from 2nd page.

I know there are already a lot of topics about this in the Internet, but all of them were talking about very old version and some of options they mentioned are gone (like "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing", "Suppress extra line spacing at top of page", etc.). According to this question, this should be a bug and is supposed to be fixed in Word 2013. How every I still encounter this (showing hard page break):

As you can see I use 34pt before spacing for heading 1 to emphasis.

Answer
Answer
In Word 2013, if a style has Spacing Before larger than zero, the spacing is always suppressed on all pages except for the first in a section.

This has changed from older versions where the spacing displayed if the "Page break before" option was selected for the style, or if the paragraph was preceded by a manual page break (the behavior with page breaks could be controlled by a compatibility option).

To get the old behavior, you can save your file in Word 97–2003 format (*.doc).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 5,829 Applies to: