Why do my Office 2007 files automatically convert to 2013?

I purchased Office 2007 and have recently purchased a new computer. This came with the free trial of 2013 although I prefer to use my Office 2007. When I work in Word and save, upon my return the file has converted to 2013. It's as if I am completely unable to use my 2007 edition and I am getting pretty frustrated. I'm no fan of Windows 8 as an OS on a laptop; which makes me feel even more blind when trying to "fix" this. Please help!

You mentioned "When [you] work in Word and save", which version of Word are you using? If you're using Word 2013 and Save it it's probably adding metadata to the file that Word 2007 can't use. From my experience, I've been able to use files created and saved in Word 2013 in Word 2007 with no issues, but there could be a technical gap now since the two versions are six years apart. Using anything earlier than Word 2007 is where I run into issues.

Do you have both versions installed on your laptop?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

When I save it, I always save it as a 97-03 version as old habits die hard. I have done this with multiple documents and since the 2013 is only a trial version, I'm locked out from making any changes to the documents. It has converted all my old files automatically too. I would love to uninstall 13 but that still leaves me with the problem that my documents have been converted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First of all, Word 2013 is capable of saving files in the older format (Save As) and I'm surprised that it's automatically saving them in another format; usually it will just save them in the original format, but I guess that's another issue.

Have you tried opening them with Word 2007? DOCX files should be backward compatible back to Word 2007, even though they were designed with Word 2013.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your files have not been "converted" automatically. When you open them in 2013, after the file name in the title bar, you should also see "Compatibility Mode".

What is more likely to have happened is that your 2013 trial is the Windows default for the file types. You don't say if you have installed your copy of 2007.

If you can't edit them in 2013, that is because your time limited trial has expired.  You will either have to buy a 2013 license, or install your 2007 copy if you have  "Retail" license that allows you to install on more than one computer and to transfer those installations.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstall the 2013 trial, after which you may have to repair 2007.

No later version of Office converts previously saved docs

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see what you are saying. Thanks. And yes, 2007 is installed and registered on my computer.  When I open the files in my documents section, 2013 opens them (it makes sense that this is a default setting and they are not actually being saved like this or being converted to it.) 

Can someone walk me through uninstalling my 2013, Windows 8 is really confusing to me.           

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, these instructions combine the 2 operations.  First uninstall 2013, then you MUST do an Office Repair of your 2007 installation

Repair or Uninstall Office 2013 /2010 / 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/ms-office-tips/fix-microsoft-word-has-stopped-working/comment-page-1/#comment-83759

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg998767.aspx#BKMK_OfficeRepair Office 365 (2013) - Repair is same as earlier versions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178956.aspx Setup command-line options reference for Office 2013 including repair

The factory installed trial is typically called something  like “Microsoft Office 20** Single Image” because it allows the factory to install all 3 trials (Home and Student, Home and Business, and Pro) at the same time. (For this problem you can ignore Office Starter, and an entry that is just "Microsoft Office 2010")  If you are uninstalling the factory trial to clear up conflicts with another installed copy, you MUST do an Office Repair of that other installed copy, boot the computer and you will probably have to also do an activation of the installed copy.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,780 Applies to: