Which template is the attached template when there are multiple templates with the same name on the computer?

Although Word 2013 is shown as the base, this applies to Word 2003, 2007, 2010 as well.

I had thought that the attached template would always be the template used to create the document unless that template was not available or someone changed the attached template. I was mistaken.

I recently had the opportunity/excuse to test what happens if there are multiple templates with the same name. I was surprised by the results.

If a template with the same name is in the folder containing the document, that becomes the attached template.

If a template with the same name is in the User Templates folder and there is none in the document folder, that template becomes the attached template.

If a template with the same name is in the Workgroup Templates folder and there is none in the document's folder nor in the user templates folder, that template becomes the attached template.

The Custom Office Templates folder is not searched.

If a template exists on one of those three locations and you try to attach a template of the same name that is located elsewhere or lower in the hierarchy, Word will not do it. If you create a document based on a template with the same name as one in one of those locations, the document will be attached to the original template when you create it, but when you reopen it, it will attach to the template in the preferred location.

Templates of the same name stored in sub folders of the User Templates or Workgroup Templates folder do not have this attribute.

I have memorialized these findings in my Templates page.

Which template is attached if there are multiple templates with the same name

The testing was done using Word 2003-2013 on a laptop running Windows 8.1. If anyone wishes to test on a different operating system to see if they get different results I welcome it.

Anyone experiencing problems with the attached template should also review Shauna Kelly's page:

What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my formatting?

1. If you have file extensions hidden, word will not default to the hierarchy Charles describes.

I used two templates with the same Name. One template attached in a Word Doc. One saved in the users Templates folder. The examples shows the difference when you toggle file extensions on and off. 

Without File Extensions 

With File Extensions 

Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the update. (I always display extensions, so did not see this.)

Are you saying that (with extensions off) the originally attached template stays attached even if the original template is not in one of the following and:

1) There is a template of the same name in the folder with the document?

2) There is a template of the same name in the user templates folder?

3) There is a template of the same name in the workgroup templates folder?

By the way, I strongly urge people to uncheck the box to automatically update document styles. This should only be checked when you are trying to change the style by attaching to a particular template. Leaving it checked is a good way to get your document formatting messed up when the document is moved or forwarded. Obviously, for purposes of easily seeing which actual template is attached, this can be handy to have checked.

I have not tested in Word 2013-16 for templates in the Custom Office Templates folder.

Also, if there is no template of the same name, my recollection is that Word will attach to the normal template.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is correct.  (with extensions off/hidden) the originally attached template stays attached 

Thank you for the update. (I always display extensions, so did not see this.)

Are you saying that (with extensions off) the originally attached template stays attached even if the original template is not in one of the following and:

1) There is a template of the same name in the folder with the document?

2) There is a template of the same name in the user templates folder?

3) There is a template of the same name in the workgroup templates folder?

By the way, I strongly urge people to uncheck the box to automatically update document styles. This should only be checked when you are trying to change the style by attaching to a particular template. Leaving it checked is a good way to get your document formatting messed up when the document is moved or forwarded. Obviously, for purposes of easily seeing which actual template is attached, this can be handy to have checked.

I have not tested in Word 2013-16 for templates in the Custom Office Templates folder.

Also, if there is no template of the same name, my recollection is that Word will attach to the normal template.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2023 Views 391 Applies to: