What is causing this mysterious box and how can I remove it?

I had someone show me this empty box at the bottom of the table on their Microsoft Word 2013 document and tell me that they didn't know how it got there or how to remove it. 

I know it's not a cell from the table above as when I right click on it, it doesn't bring up options for dealing with cells.  I've tried selecting it and deleting it and then right clicking on it and cutting or deleting it, but no luck.  What is causing this and how do I remove it?

Can you provide a screen shot that displays it?
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Is it like this one? Because I have this too and want to get rid of some of them from a document that was set up for me but I don't know what it actually DOES in the document. I do know the document isn't breaking or lining up how I want it. They look like these little starry things and are not clickable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Click on the Show\Hide (¶) button to turn of the display of non-printing characters.

See the article "What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 244 Applies to: