Vertical Text Alignment of Continuous Section in Word 2013.

I am trying to understand the Vertical Text Alignment in Word 2013.  If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.  So far my primary source is this article, although it is outdated.

I would like to create two continuous sections with different vertical text alignment on one page.

In the first section, I would like the text vertically-aligned to the top of the page.

In the second continuous section, I would like the text vertically-aligned to the bottom of the page.

I am applying settings to "This Section" for each of the two, rather than the "Whole Document."

The second continuous section says it is aligned to the bottom of the page in the settings, but really the vertical text alignment of both sections is displayed in sync to whatever I set the first continuous section to, rather than what they are independently set to.

In the past, I would have used tables, but was hoping to figure out this particular feature.

Answer
Answer

You have set up the page correctly, but it's not working as you think it would. If it's any consolation, this feature has never worked this way with previous versions of Word, so it's not quite a bug.

Your idea of tables will work. Alternative methods that could also work include using a text box at the bottom of the page or putting the bottom text into the footer (assuming it repeats on every page).

Another variant on the table idea is to create a separate table for the bottom of the page, then use TABLE TOOLS>LAYOUT>Properties, change Text Wrapping to Around, click on Positioning and set Horizontal to about 0.5" relative to Page and Vertical about 9" relative to Page. This creates a floating table at the bottom. Text will wrap around it to the next page.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

As you have noticed, Vertical Alignment doesn't appear to work with continuous sections. My guess is that this is because the alignment applies to all content on a page, including the continuous section breaks...

Actually, the feature has limitations even if there are no continuous breaks. For example, "Justified" alignment applies even to the last page of a section. Imagine a section whose last page contains just one single (say) two-line paragraph. With "Justified" selected in the Vertical Alignment drop down, Word will display the first line at the top of the page and the second line at the bottom. It's hardly desirable.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2023 Views 2,435 Applies to: