Vertical Scrolling Disabled

Every time I start a new document in MS Word 2013, the vertical scrolling is disabled. I have to go through the hassle of selecting "Options" from the file menu, clicking "Advanced," and then scrolling down to the "Display" section and selecting "Show vertical scroll bar." 

Is there a way to make vertical scrolling a default setting? Or at least a way to customize my toolbar to allow me to display the vertical scroll bar without going through the elaborate mechanism of going through the "Options" menu?

Answer
Answer

Follow these steps:

Open the Normal.dotm template as a document (not a new document based on the template). The easy way to do this is to press Alt+F11 to open the macro editor, press Ctrl+G to open the Immediate window in the editor, type NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument in that window and press Enter. Then close the macro editor.

Go to the Options dialog and check the option as you described.

In the body of the template, type any character and backspace to delete it. That "dirties" the template so that Word will be forced to save it. Then press Ctrl+S to save, and close Word.

From now on, the scroll bar will be present.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 272 Applies to: