Update Heading to Match Selection not working in Word 2013 document

Hello Word Gurus -

I have successfully used the Update <Style> to Match Selection functionality in Word many times; but it's not working with two Heading Styles in a particular document. 

I have tried manually adjusting the indents, right clicking the arrow in the Heading Style to display the Update <Heading Style> to Match Selection option, and selected that option, but it "rejects" the new format and pops right back to the previously formatted indents. 

I also tried selecting Modify from the Heading Style and adjusting the indentation through Format > Paragraph, but those selections also do not "take."

Can anyone shed some light on why these Heading Styles are being so obstinate?

Answer
Answer

You have the number followed by a Tab character and as the number is at 0.5", the next default tab stop, (in the absence of your having set one in the multi-level list dialog) is at 1.0" 

You need to check the "Add tab stop at:" box and set a tab stop at 0.75

I think that you text should also be set to be indented at 0.75 so that the second and subsequent lines are aligned with the first line.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 2,544 Applies to: