Uncooperative Page Numbering

Hi,

I've been working away for weeks now trying to get the page numbers to count properly in a book that I'm writing, but I'm getting sick and tired of solving one problem only to be confronted by another. So at the moment, I have a number of problems which I need help working out what to do with. The initial problem was that the numbering kept re-starting because word had inserted random section breaks all over the place.

1. I'm trying to keep the first few pages free from numbering, but every time I try to delete them, (almost) every other page number in the fifty-page long document also gets deleted. I've made sure the ones I want to keep are set to 'start with', but this doesn't help anything.

2. I wanted the next few pages to be of the system i, ii, iii, which is working perfectly, but for the fact that every time I try to set the numbers below to 'start from' a number, it turns the last page of the i, ii, iii format into 1, 2, 3 format. Completely bizarre. Completely stupid.

3. I mentioned above that I was trying to get the main bulk of the pages to start from 1 - this doesn't work. These pages are still inexplicably linked to the first few pages which I don't want numbered (see my first point), and whenever I try, the page I set to 'start from' actually starts at 6. It also seems to follow no logical counting order.

Any help would be very much appreciated. The sooner I can get this sorted, the sooner I can get back to actually writing to book. Either that or I'll have to find a pdf editor.

Thank you

Answer
Answer

Numbering Front Matter (Ribbon)  (Thank you Suzanne Barnhill)

My guess is that this article will answer all of your questions, so start with it.

The thing is, to restart page numbering requires  a Section Break (not a page break, although a section can start on a new page). If you don't know about Sections,

Telling Word, in the Format Page Numbers dialog, to start page numbers with a new number from the current location, will insert a section break.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 598 Applies to: