Text to Speech voice change problem with Microsoft Word 2013

I have been trying to change the text to speech voice in windows 8.1 so that it reflects and reads aloud my text in Word 2013. I can change the voice in Speech Properties to the voice I want, but when I return to Word and click the 'Speak Selected Text' button it always uses the Microsoft Hazel Desktop. I have also tried using the narrator settings dialog to change the voice but same outcome. An MS AnswerTech asked me to use Word online repair which also didnt work.

Any ideas as to why Word cant dictate using the selected voice? Is this a Word or Windows problem?

Hi Patel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Office Word Community.

We understand your concern about issue of ‘Text to Speech voice’ recognition in Word 2013 program.

Let us try to run Word application by enabling ‘Run as administrator’ then check if that resolves the issue.

To ‘Run as administrator, follow the suggestion given below:

1. Click on Start > Computer > C-Drive (C :) > Program Files or Program Files (X86) > Microsoft Office > Office14

2. Locate the Outlook.exe or winword.exe or Excel.exe file then do a right-click on it and Click on ‘Run as administrator’.

If the same issue persists then you may follow the steps given below and verify the status.

A. Configure Text-to-Speech Options to determine the selected TTS voice or engine.

To determine the selected Text-to-Speech voice: Go to Control Panel, and then double-click Speech Recognition. On the Text-to-Speech tab, the displayed name in the Voice selection drop-down list is the currently active voice. Click Preview Voice to hear the active voice. The text is spoken and the words are highlighted as they are spoken.

B. Then change the TTS voice or Engine. To do so, in the same ‘Speech Properties’ window, select the different voice in the dropdown list of ‘Voice Recognition’ and check the preview if it works.

C. Now open Word document and check if the ‘Text to Speech’ works.

Let us know the result to assist you further.

Thank you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I tried running as Admin but no luck.

I have tried changing the voice selection many times to different voices, but still always plays in MS Hazel Desktop. I want MS Zira Desktop.

When I select a different voice, the preview gives the correct sound, but when returning to word its always MS Hazel.

Also, a weird thing is that when I select another voice and change the voice speed, the speed in word also changes to what I selected but with the Hazel voice?!!

So only the voice selection problem is occuring.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this issue except I want Hazel TTS not Zira or David, both of which are grating to my ears.

Using Win 8.1 and Word 2013.

I have tried all the above with no luck

I read elsewhere it may be related to the proofing language. Added UK and no luck. Made UK default language and no luck. I have not actually deleted U.S. english as I kind of need it, being in the USA.

As a side note I have also tried to use the save as Daisey plug in. It only uses the Zira voice for some reason.

I have not found any way to make this work 

When my Office subscription trial expires, I will look elsewhere for a solution that works.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Running as admin did not work. However, finding the text-to-speech properties in Control Panel and changing there did work. For some reason, text-to-speech settings in Windows 10 appear to not affect settings in control panel. This is an annoying redundancy.
JC Q&A

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI in Windows Vista - Windows 10, the way to access the old style control panel is to right click on the Start button, select Run, and enter control /name Microsoft.TextToSpeech

I had the problem that MS David was selected by default on the old style control panel, even though the new control panel was set to Zira. 

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI in Windows Vista - Windows 10, the way to access the old style control panel is to right click on the Start button, select Run, and enter control /name Microsoft.TextToSpeech

I had the problem that MS David was selected by default on the old style control panel, even though the new control panel was set to Zira. 

Thanks Jayce,

Finally my PC no longer sounds like Steve Hawkins.  I can confirm that this method fixes the read aloud in MS Word using Win 10, build 14342 on my laptop.  However, not all voices worked.  David and Zira works but Hazel does not change.

To test open WORD and highlight a paragraph, press the read aloud icon.  Stop reading (click again).  Go to settings as given ABOVE not Cortana's.  Adjust speed and voice and press APPLY not OK.  Back to word retest.  Did it work, is speed ok?  No back to settings, adjust and APPLY.  Word retest....  When ok back to settings and finally press ok to close the settings panel.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2024 Views 5,858 Applies to: