Style - Using Page Break Before AND Spacing Before Paragraph

I am trying to create a set of styles in Word 2013 that can be used by everyone in the office. We want our documents to be set up so that Sections 1.0, 2.0, etc. are always on a new page and have a 48 pt spacing above them, to make the section titles really pop! We want the rest of the headings (Section 1.1.1 etc.) and the body of the text to appear against the upper margin. 

I have made 'Heading' styles in addition to styles for the main body of the text. When creating the style for the Section 1.0 headings, I formatted the paragraph to have 48 pt spacing before, and checked the box "Page Break Before". However, the 48 pt spacing will not show up no matter what I do. It goes to the next page and is placed next to the upper margin. All the solutions I've found are for other versions of Word that do not work for the 2013 version.

I don't know if this is affecting it, but I also created a Multilevel List that links each level to a specific style, which is how I get the 1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1 etc. to automatically show up for each section heading and subheading.

How do I get the space before the paragraph to show up???

Answer
Answer
OK, I just tested in Word 2013, and running the following line of code:

ActiveDocument.SetCompatibilityMode wdWord2010

enables the "Lay out this document as if created in" drop down in the Advanced category of File | Options. If you then select the "Word 2010" option, you can specify compatibility/layout options as in versions older than Word 2013 without saving in *.doc format.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2022 Views 2,003 Applies to: