Store Autocorrect Entries in Word 2013 Custom Template

I just upgraded to Word 2013.  I've used templates a fair amount in previous Word versions, but would like to increase my knowledge in this area and use them more in Word 2013.  Toward that end I setup a Science template that I intend to use for making notes when I watch science programs or read science articles (I enjoy writing fiction and like to absorb as much as I can from various science sources).  I want to create some autocorrect entries that are available ONLY in documents based on the Science template so that I can avoid conflicts with other kinds of documents.  For example, in my Science template "ag" should autocorrect to "anti-gravity" whereas in the template that I use for non-scientific material I might want "ag" to autocorrect to "Attorney General."

I've been experimenting with this and my results are not consistent.  First, I created a new macro-enabled template called Science.  I then closed Word and opened the Science template by double-clicking it in Windows Explorer.  I added my autocorrect entries and when exiting Word I saved the Science template.  Again, I double-clicked the Science template in Windows Explorer and my autocorrect entries were all there.  So far, so good.

I decided to try a few experiments to verify that the entries were actually stored with the Science template, and I have been unable to get that confirmation.  Every time I end up with the autocorrect entries available when the Science template does not appear to be loaded, or in my effort to remove the entries from the Normal template they end up being removed from the Science template as well.  So, either I am doing something wrong, or autocorrect entries cannot be saved to custom templates as I would prefer.

Is there a way in Word 2013 to save autocorrect entries to a custom template and make them available only in documents based on that template?

Thanks for any information that you can offer!

--Tom

There are two kinds of AutoCorrect entries, "Plain text" and "Formatted text", indicated by the option buttons in the dialog:

The formatted ones are stored in the Normal.dotm template (regardless of what template you have open). The plain text ones are stored in MSO*.ACL files, where the MSO is followed by a numerical language identifier, depending on the proofing language applied to the text when the entry was created. In neither case are the entries stored in your custom template.

There's more detailed information in http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/ExportAutocorrect.htm. Although the article is very old, most of it is still accurate.

The sort of classification you want might be available with the AutoCorrect manager offered at http://www.clockworksoftware.com.au/Products/AutoCorrectManager.aspx. I haven't used it, so I don't know how easy it might be.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jay

What's wrong with your Autocorrect which works just exemplary and I've tweaked just a little. I just checked this out and IMHO it is dismissal. Did you know that in Australia we use ACN or can if you use default autocorrect - well golly gosh in the legal world we actually use ABN in Australia these days - fancy that!

It slightly irritates me that those with no experience put such rubbish together. We can all resave our templates in the ACL language and one needs to be creative with names having 2 or more acronyms for one definition is more confusing that having useful acronyms:

ag attorney-general     which is hyphentated

a-g anti-gravity

One wonders how some people actually get anything done!!!!

Your addin is brilliant Jay and unsurpassed. So why recommend this is my question?

Regards

janinecrutch.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a way in Word 2013 to save autocorrect entries to a custom template and make them available only in documents based on that template?

--Tom

The kind of by-template customization you want is available for AutoText (Building Blocks) but not for AutoCorrect.

I have not tried the commercial product that Jay linked to. I have used the AutoCorrect utilities offered on the MVP site and on Jay's site (utility for Word 2007 - 2013) and they work fine, but do not tie AC entries to the attached template. These utilites would allow you to edit your AC lists for a particular project, but those edits would be for Office as a whole, not simply one document or template.

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word
Templates in Microsoft Word
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jay

What's wrong with your Autocorrect which works just exemplary and I've tweaked just a little. I just checked this out and IMHO it is dismissal. Did you know that in Australia we use ACN or can if you use default autocorrect - well golly gosh in the legal world we actually use ABN in Australia these days - fancy that!

It slightly irritates me that those with no experience put such rubbish together. We can all resave our templates in the ACL language and one needs to be creative with names having 2 or more acronyms for one definition is more confusing that having useful acronyms:

ag attorney-general     which is hyphentated

a-g anti-gravity

One wonders how some people actually get anything done!!!!

Your addin is brilliant Jay and unsurpassed. So why recommend this is my question?

Regards

janinecrutch.com

Janine,

The OP wants AutoCorrect that works only in documents attached to a particular template.  Jay's addin does not do that. The commercial product does not do that either but is apparently set up to load/unload different AC sets through an interface. Jay's utility will let you do the same thing but you have to understand what it is you are donig.

I have no idea what ACN and ABN refer to.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Charles, I thought it was a messy product.

If one sets up autocorrect properly there is no need to load/unload. In order to make autocorrect useful the user has to be able to use it and know the naming conventions - so while you may have a base autocorrect setup a user can add their own entries as they like and all that is needed is to back it up and Jay's utility does just that. It really is a user's autocorrect to which I can make available a base configuration that they can add to, backup, delete and reload the backup.

ACN and ABN are company numbers issued in Australia he refers to ACN because of Word's autocorrect pre-packaged entries. In Autocorrect Word's out of the box list has acn turns into can and roman i turns into I. I always delete the base autocorrect with my utility and replace with my own list which is done with Jay's utility which I have tweaked a little. Quick and simple.

The answer to the OPs question is "no". If you can't create a purposeful autocorrect with formatted and non formatted entries then get someone who can.

I think of Word as a tool Charles that works quickly and simply when configured properly.

And as you have stated Charles Autotext and the Building Block categories are quite able to achieve this. His Building Block entries can be attached to the template that would be efficient and simple.

Regards

janinecrutch.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jay,

Thank you for providing the first article which explains the structure of the ACL entries. My difficulty is due to the linkage of the ACL entry to the proofing language code at the time of entry.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,773 Applies to: