Right-to-Left Language Texts Disappear in .pdf Conversion

My publisher requires me to submit my books in pdf. I prepare my books in Word 2013. The text is mostly in English, but there are a lot of quotations in Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, and other right-to-left languages. When I convert to pdf, these texts disappear, except for one word (which seems to be the first word the conversion program encounters going left-to-right, so the program doesn't "see" the rest of the Hebrew or whatever quotations).

The above problem is with the ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A) switch checked. If I uncheck it, this problem goes away, but the entire book is thrown off such that pages don't match up - this renders my Table of Contents and Indices useless.

Yes, the fonts are TruType (the Hebrew font is standard Times New Roman, in fact), and yes, they are fully embedded. I've tried doing a test, using a file in Word consisting of a single paragraph in English with some Hebrew text within the paragraph - most of the Hebrew disappears, as noted above.

The problem is in Word. When Word (or anything else, because as noted I've tried other conversion programs) converts the Word files into .pdf, it keeps going left-to-right, so it takes the first word it finds in Aramaic (or Hebrew, etc.), and doesn't "see" the other words. If I convert the Aramaic phrase into right-to-left, that makes the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH right-to-left, even though most of the paragraph is in English; i.e., it is not fit for book printing. So I have to keep the Aramaic tagged as left-to-right or the English paragraph turns to hash. Again, as noted, this problem vanishes when I uncheck the PDF/A switch, but that creates a new problem, that the page lengths in the entire book get thrown off, rendering the Table of Contents and Indices totally useless.

I've called Adobe Customer Service, and talked on line with Adobe experts. The problem is with Word, not Adobe.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Can you share a sample file with the exact steps to reproduce the issue.

As a rule it is always better to use a pdf creator rather than doing something in word and exporting or saving as pdf.

Trying to be helpful.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings, Elemantal, and thank you for your concern. :-)

I have a file prepared that shows exactly what happens in Word and .pdf, but I do not see anywhere in this reply screen where I can upload a file. So I will copy in an example...

Following is a paragraph of the original text of the work I am translating. (In the book, the original text goes on left-hand pages, and the translation on the right-hand pages.) You should be able to see that most of this paragraph is in Greek, which of course is a LTR language, but there is one sentence in Aramaic, which is a RTL language.

λεγει αυτη ο ιησους καλως ειπας οτι ανδρα ουκ εχω 4:18 πεντε γαρ ανδρας εσχες και νυν ον εχεις ουκ εστιν σου ανηρ τουτο αληθες ειρηκας ARAMAIC:ܡܛܠ ܕܚܡܫ̈ܐ ܒܥ̈ܠܝܢ ܗܘܘ ܠܟܝ܂ ܘܗܢܐ ܕܐܝܬ ܠܟܝ ܗܫܐ ܠܐ ܗܘܐ ܒܥܠܟܝ܂ ܗܕܐ ܫܪܝܪܬܐ ܐܡܪܬܝ

Here is what this paragraph looks like after it is converted to .pdf --

λεγει αυτη ο ιησους καλως ειπας οτι ανδρα ουκ εχω 4:18 πεντε γαρ ανδρας εσχες και νυν ον εχεις ουκ εστιν σου ανηρ ܂ܝܬܪܡܐ

As you can see, in the second, the Aramaic got chewed down to one word. In this example, some of the Greek (and the English word identifying the change of language) also got eaten. In most instances throughout the three books in this series of translations, any RTL language gets cut down to just a word. The exception is, sometimes but not always, when the quotation of the RTL language is only one or two words.

The exact steps are -- I type the document in Word. I edit in word. All of the RTL texts are typed in or sometimes pasted in. All of the fonts are fully embedded. In fact, the Hebrew font is Times New Roman. I keep the switch set at LTR, because when I flip it to RTL, it throws the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH into right-justified with the Greek (or English or whatever) going RTL; in short, it makes a big mess.

Once the document is properly prepared in Word, I go to "Save As" and save it as a .pdf file. That's where words and phrases in the RTL languages disappear.

Thanks again! --James

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

P.S. As to .pdf creators.... I tried the creator in the Foxit .pdf package. I tried several .pdf creators online and through freeware downloads. I can't try the Adobe one because that costs money I don't have. Every single one of the several programs I tried wound up with the same results. That's why, as I say above, I think the problem is in Word.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I continue to hope someone out there with know-how will reply to this question. My publisher is furious. Books have been pulled off the market because of this Microsoft Word issue, and can't be put back on sale until it is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello James,

Since you have tried multiple PDF Convertor tools let us try the following step.  

1. Check if your PDF Convertor package includes a PDF Printer > from the main Windows Start screen navigate to Devices and Printers in Control Panel.

2. In Devices and Printers check if you have a PDF Printer option.

3. If found, then right-click on the PDF Printer driver and set it as default printer.

4. Close all windows and then try printing the document to PDF.

5. Check how the right-left language text appears.  

Try the above steps and let us know if it works.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Mohan --

First, thank you for being so kind as to reply. I was starting to despair whether I'd even receive a reply here, let alone a solution.

Second, I have tried this basic procedure you outline before in various permutations, including by the .xps approach, and they did not work. I tried your procedure nevertheless, exactly as you stated it. It did not work. Furthermore, it lost my setting of 6"x9" page size, with the .pdf appearing as 8 1/2"x11", with the 6"x9" text in the middle, surrounded by gigantic margins.

PLEASE PLEASE, if you have further thoughts, please let me know. My books have had to be pulled off the market as defective, the publisher has to replace sold copies (when this issue is straightened out), and I have to come up with a proper .pdf of the books SOON, because I'm in huge issues with the publisher. Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried converting the document with Word 2010?

Could you share at least a page (with made-up text if confidential) that contains the problem? I'm trying to reproduce the problem but everything is going perfect. Instructions on how to upload a file are found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/how-to-upload-a-file-to-microsoft-answers/65403f1a-68ce-4dc7-acae-8c8991f5ed73

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried using the free PrimoPDF converter that will install itself as a printer and then use it to "print" the document to a pdf file.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried converting the document with Word 2010?

Could you share at least a page (with made-up text if confidential) that contains the problem? I'm trying to reproduce the problem but everything is going perfect. Instructions on how to upload a file are found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/how-to-upload-a-file-to-microsoft-answers/65403f1a-68ce-4dc7-acae-8c8991f5ed73

Greetings, Barkoosh, and thank you for your reply.

I don't know, of course, but I suspect things are fine on your end because you don't have right-to-left languages in your sample.

Here is the link to a sample in Word, which of course shows what this text SHOULD look like:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=F442B0B5B7704DBB&resid=F442B0B5B7704DBB!4397&app=Word

And here is the link to the same sample in .pdf, which of course shows the same text with chunks of the Aramaic (right-to-left) missing:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=F442B0B5B7704DBB&resid=F442B0B5B7704DBB!4398&app=WordPdf

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried using the free PrimoPDF converter that will install itself as a printer and then use it to "print" the document to a pdf file.

Good morning, Doug Robbins --

I have tried, PrimoPDF too, and it gets exactly the same unfortunate results. The Primo results look identical to the second (.pdf) test page I linked above to "Barkoosh". But thanks anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2022 Views 1,832 Applies to: