Restarting a multilevel lists at 1 disassociates that paragraph from the defined mulilevel list style

I've search the questions and responses, but can't seem to find the issue I'm having with multilevel list styles.

I'm using Word 2013 and have defined a four-level multilevel style and associated each level with a Heading style. Within the sections defined by the headings, I want to have multilevel steps, so I've defined a second multilevel list style with two levels and associated each level with a style (List number and List Letter). I want to restart this second list multiple times, within the sections defined by the Headings.

For instance, win section 2.3 I have steps

a.

b.

a.

b.

Within section 2.3.2 I want also want steps numbered in the same way, beginning with step 1. So, I put my cursor on what I want to be step 1 in section 2.3.2, right-click, and select "Restart at 1." This works like a charm for the second list. The trouble comes when I go to the next section, 2.3.3 and start another list of steps. When I restart at 1, that List Number paragraph changes to 1. However, what should be 2 continues numbering from the steps in 2.3.2. When I open the Multilevel List dialog, I see number 1 is no longer associated with the list style.

The second level (alphas) are just fine because they restart after the first level, no matter what its value.

How should I be defining the lists for the steps? I've tried selecting all the steps and reapplying the List style, but the same thing occurs: when I Restart at 1, that paragraph becomes its own list and the rest of the steps continue from the previous list of steps.

I'd appreciate any insight.

You should define Multi-Level number, levels 4 and 5 with numbering of 1, 2, 3 and a, b, c, respectively, with the level 4 numbering set to restart after Level 2 and level 5 set to restart after level 4 and levels 6 and 7 with numbering of 1, 2, 3 and a, b, c, respectively, with the level 6 numbering set to restart after Level 3 and level 7 numbering set to restart after level 6.

Each numbering level should be assigned to its own Style and then you apply the relevant Style depending upon where you are in the hierarchy of things.

Then you don't have to muck around with manually re-starting numbering.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You should define Multi-Level number, levels 4 and 5 with numbering of 1, 2, 3 and a, b, c, respectively, with the level 4 numbering set to restart after Level 2 and level 5 set to restart after level 4 and levels 6 and 7 with numbering of 1, 2, 3 and a, b, c, respectively, with the level 6 numbering set to restart after Level 3 and level 7 numbering set to restart after level 6.

Each numbering level should be assigned to its own Style and then you apply the relevant Style depending upon where you are in the hierarchy of things.

Then you don't have to muck around with manually re-starting numbering.

Thanks, Doug! That will work great for documents where each set of steps begin at same level. The problem is that sometimes my steps are within a third-level paragraph, but may be at a higher or lower level. My get-around was just to use defined lists rather than a multilevel list for the steps and substeps. So far, so good!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you must keep the lists separate, manual renumbering is the only solution. Note, however, that you probably would find it easier to rethink the structure, if at all possible.

Alternatively, you may want to look into SEQ fields for sequential numbers.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Strange. The link worked when I tested it, recently. I guess going to third-party sites is the only solution then... :-(       
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2022 Views 1,399 Applies to: