Problems with Office products since last BIOS update on Dell XPS running windows 8.1

Hi all--

I haven't posted before because Microsoft Office is working for me, but I keep noticing these little glitches, and they seem to trace back to my last BIOS update on my machine (which actually corrected some overall major problems I was having).

The first glitch, so to speak, is now EVERY time I open Word, I get that little Window that says "To you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?"  Usually, this would only come up if I were doing some kind of upgrade, which I'm obviously not.  It's not a big deal--I just click on "yes" and move on--but it's frustrating that I cannot figure out why it is happening EVERY time.

The second glitch came up today, when I was using PowerPoint.  After saving my presentation, I tried using the "export" function for creating handouts in Word.  Unfortunately, I got the error message "PowerPoint can't locate Microsoft Word.  Make sure that Microsoft Word is properly installed on your computer."  I tried making sure that Word was actually open, but this didn't make a difference.

I'm not sure how to proceed next.  The version of Office I have is Professional Plus 2013.  Any thoughts?

Answer
Answer

Hello Cholette,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you with this issue.

1) For the prompt '
Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer', follow the steps mentioned below and verify the result:

·
Close all the Office application.
· Browse to the location mentioned below:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 15\Office 15
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 15\ClentX86 or ClientX64\Root\Office15

. Right click on Winword.exe and click on Properties.

· Go to Compatibility tab; under Privilege group uncheck the option Run this program as administrator and click OK.

2) Follow the instructions mentioned in the article below to troubleshoot the issue which you're experiencing in PowerPoint and verify the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2274149

Important: Ensure to backup registry following instructions mentioned article below before modifying the registry.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope the above information helps. Try the suggestions and let me know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 90 Applies to: