problem with 'save as' in Office 2013

When I try to 'save as' a Word file with the same filename, instead of being asked if I want to replace the existing file, the save as just happens and the file is replaced.  I am using Office 2013 running under Windows 8.1.  Previously I always got a message asking me if I wanted to replace the existing file.  How do I get Office back to doing this? - I have looked in options and cannot find any setting that seems to apply.

When I try to do the same thing in Excel, the file is automatically saved as a copy (e.g. a file with the filename test.xlsx gets saved as Copy of test.xlsz) and you have to remember to change the filename in the 'save as' window if you do actually want to replace the original file.  Again, is there a way of stopping this happening and making the system put up a message asking you if you want to replace the existing file?

Answer
Answer

Well, you did say that you removed Office completely, but you didn't say what you meant by "completely." In other words, you didn't explain how you uninstalled.

Anyway, I just tested and it seems that Word 2013 doesn't give you an option to choose if you want to replace the file. This is clearly new behavior, which I hadn't noticed. However, a quick test suggests that Word doesn't replace the file; it just performs an ordinary save.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 454 Applies to: