Print does not correspond to print preview with complex script

I have a Word document in Syriac which looks just as I want it on the Print Preview screen; but when I print it, either to my printer or to pdf, strange things happen. In particular, some whole lines become white space. Some other lines have words omitted.  Here is one page, first the Print Preview (a screen shot):

And here is the pdf (also a screen shot):

You can see that the first line is partly erased, and the second line completely erased, and the same for a line 6 lines up from the bottom. I am mystified by this and would welcome help. There are other discrepancies between preview and print too, but if I knew what was going on here, it would perhaps resolve them all.

J. F. Coakley

Hi JF Coakley,

I would need more information in order to help you.

Does this issue occur with documents created using Syriac font only?

What happens when you change the paper size and then try to print? Is it the same behavior?

You may print the document to OneNote or Microsoft XPS writer following the steps from the link below and check if the issue occurs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-change-your-default-printer

Let us know the required information and results for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your initial reply. I tried printing to XPS but the fault is the same; likewise with a different paper size. The fault occurs when I print to my own printer, and also when I print to pdf.

I can expand a bit on the description. The fault seems to be associated with lines containing numerals, including footnote indicators, or square brackets  - although the actual deletion of characters doesn't happen exactly at the spots where these appear; and sometimes, such lines print correctly! It is certainly mysterious. The fault, I am guessing, has to do with right-to-left text. It happens with all Syriac fonts, including Estrangelo Edessa which came with Windows. (I don't use any other right-to-left languages, so can't say about them.) I am using Windows 7 and the latest Office. I did not have this issue when I used Windows Vista and an older version of Word.  I hope this gives you some clue.

J F Coakley (Mr)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The "Microsoft Community Team" have e-mailed me to ask if my problem is solved. It is not! I have given you some supplementary details in my second posting, and I would now be glad to have your renewed attention to it please.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been told informally - although why not formally in this forum? - that Microsoft have taken note of this problem. In the mean time, for any other Syriac users who may be suffering, I can advise. Uninstall Word 2013 and install, or reinstall, Word 2010. Whatever the bug is, it seems to have come in between these 2 versions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing happens when I use complex script with e-Grantamil font. The display & preview are correct. But print or exporting to pdf changes the script. But for me using e-Grantamil even rendering (display) was not correct in Word-2010 (but right in Word-2007). In Word 2013, display of complex script is correct but print or pdf conversion spoils the script.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2023 Views 290 Applies to: