Permission denied error while opening a file which i OWN

Hi

I have an important MS Word 2013 document which i have created few days earlier.

Now, when i try to open the file by double clicking it i get the below error

"This message can appear if a file has been saved with permissions. Permissions, also known as rights or privileges, can be applied to a file, folder, or almost any resource available from a network (printers, shares, files, databases, Web sites, etc). When a user attempts to open a resource that requires specific user permissions, this message will appear if the user does not have the required permissions.
Permissions can be set for individual users, groups of users, or for a specific computer. Usually, this message appears if you are using a network to which administrators have applied permissions for specific users and groups, or if you are accessing a resource local to a specific user's computer, but are blocked because of local permissions that have been set by that user. If you cannot open a resource on a file server or other computer on your network, you will most likely need to review your user account settings to determine whether you have the necessary permissions to gain access to the resource. If you do not know whether you have the necessary permissions, contact your network administrator or the owner of the computer with the shared resources.
Usually, this message does not appear if you are using disk drives formatted with a FAT or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS, HPFS, or another file format that provides the ability to apply permissions, are capable of forcing this message.
Occasionally, the computer that grants users access to a network can lose the information that is used to authenticate a specific user. When this happens, the only option available is to turn your computer off for thirty seconds, and then restart your computer (you must turn off the computer to clear the cached information in the network card). Restarting may reset the authentication information that is used to grant you access to the network. If this does not work, you must contact the network administrator to have your account reset. It is also possible that the network administrator has disabled your account.
There is also the possibility that the file you are attempting to open is restricted through Information Rights Management (IRM). IRM is an alternate form of file restriction access that allows creators of a file the ability to limit editing, copying, printing, or forwarding of content. If the file is restricted and you require access to its contents, you must contact the creator or owner of the file to request that they add your user ID to the list of users who are allowed to access the file."

I have neither formatted my machine or tweaked any permissions of the file. However i am unable to open the file.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Avinash

Hello Avinash,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

I would require more information to assist you better:

1) Are you experiencing this issue only with a specific Word document or all Word documents?

2) On which folder is the Word document saved?

3) What happens when you open Word application first and then try opening the document from within Word?

4) Are you able to open this document on another computer?

5) Do you multiple Windows User Accounts? If yes, do you have administrator privileges on the user account in which you're working on?

Right click on the Word document, go to Properties and ensure that Read only option is not checked for the document.

Reply with the necessary information and I'll be glad to further assist you.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Daniel

Below are my answers for your queries:

1) The issue is only specific to only a document and i am able to work with other documents as usual.
2) I have created and saved the document in "F:\SkyDrive" folder, which is also synchronized with skydrive.
3) I receive the same error "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges (F:\SkyDrive\TBP.docx)".
4) No. I have actually tried copying it, deleting it. However i had no luck.
5) No, Its my home pc and i use it as an administrator.

There is no readonly attribute set for this document.

Thank You
Best
Avinash

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Avinash,

Thank you for replying.

1) Do you have SkyDrive App installed on your computer?

2) What happens when you try deleting or copying it?

3) Are you able to access the file problem file from
SkyDrive?
If yes, try downloading the file and then accessing it.

Reply with necessary information and the result for further assistance.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel

1) Yes, i have installed SkyDrive App to sync all the files in the folder F:\SkyDrive with that of my account.
2) I can neither copy it nor delete it..

While Deleting:

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this file" --> I clicked on Continue. It then gave me the error "You need permission to perform this action.. You require permission from Avinash to make changes to this file"

While Copying:
"You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" --> I clicked on Continue. It then gave me the error "You need permission to perform this action.. You require permission from Avinash to make changes to this file"

3) No, this file is not synching to SkyDrive...
    I have logged into SkyDrive. However, this file is not present over there.

PS: i have logged in as Avinash in my PC.

Thank You.
Best
Avinash

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem.  I have a word document right on my desktop.  I can not delete it and reopen it.  This is my home computer and I am the administrator.  I have tried to shred it with my virus software and it does not work.  I hate that now I am stuck with a file I created and now do not have rights to delete, open it, or cut and paste it some where.. 

Looking at the security tab I had previous deleted groups or names as I did not want my name on the document.  I guess for some reason you can not change the security setting or you will have a file that is now just taking up space on your computer.  Previously when I had windows xp I was able to change my name on a document under the properties.  With windows 8.1 it is stuck. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, can you please try deleting/copying/editing using a bootable disk of ubuntu/fedora.

When i face any issues with documents i usually boot my machine with a disk of Ubuntu/Fedora and then copy/del/edit the document.

I think that this would also solve your problem.

THanks

Avinash

Best
Avinash

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 7,308 Applies to: