PDF security in Word 2013

We've just recently installed Office 2013 and I love that we can convert PDFs into Word.  HOWEVER, I'm having some difficulty with understanding the security.  Here's my issue:

We have a sensitive student documents that we've saved as a PDFs and shared.  We want the recipients to be able to view but not edit and saving as a PDF served that purpose well since the average user doesn't have Adobe Acrobat at home to go in and tinker with things they shouldn't touch.   Now that we can convert PDFs to Word, it removes that level of "security".  So I tested saving the document in several different ways to see if I could prevent word from opening the document and either it can't be done or I'm missing something.  I've tried the following:

1. Within the Save As menu, I clicked Tools | General Options and selected both Password to modify and Password to Open.  Neither of these settings transfer to the pdf
  2. Within the Save As menu, after I selected PDF as my file type, I clicked the options button and selected Encrypt the document with a password, but that won't let the recipient even open it without the password.
  3. Print the document and scan it back in as a PDF.  This gives the desired result of a non editable document, but it's a real pain to have to do that for hundreds of documents that need to go back and forth between parents and teachers.

There are a lot of smart people that work for Microsoft, and I can't imagine someone didn't think of this.  Does anyone have a better solution other than printing out and scanning in a document that we shouldn't have to print out in the first place?

Answer
Answer

Although the PDF spec allows the type of password you're looking for, Word doesn't support setting it. Adobe Acrobat does, though, and as a service to the community Adobe has made the older 8.0 version available as a free download. You can get it from here.

After saving a Word document as a PDF, open it in Acrobat. On the Secure menu, click Password Encrypt. If you care about the type of encryption, choose Acrobat 7.0 compatibility, which switches from the default RC4 encryption to AES encryption (it's more secure). Leave blank the "Require a password to open the document" (that's the one that Word can set). Check the box for "Restrict editing and printing of the document" and enter the password. The two dropdowns below that (for Printing and for Changes) should say "None", and the box for "Enable copying of text, images, and other content" should be unchecked. Click OK, and reenter the password for confirmation. Finally, save the PDF.

After this, Word will refuse to open the PDF, instead displaying a message about permissions.

Acrobat Reader and other PDF readers will open it for reading only. Most of them will honor the security settings, and will refuse to print, edit, or copy from the document.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

As Jay has indicated Word does not support PDF security options. Microsoft chose not to implement it, maybe because of licensing considerations?

PDF Creator is an open source PDF creation tool and alternative to Acrobat which does provide security options.

If you are going to allow users to open the PDF then even with security, once the users have access to it, the content is ultimately theirs to do with as they wish. You can only make it less convenient to do so.

PDF Creator (like Acrobat) is also programmable from Word so you can use it in your VBA projects. You could for example create secured PDF files using mail merge with http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm or as attachments to e-mail with http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm   

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 3,325 Applies to: