Parts of document only visible in outline view.

I am putting together my PhD thesis using Word 2013 and Endnote X7. I need to put the bibliographies for each chapter separately. Endnote is able to do this, but the process has been a nightmare. Among other issues, I have to copy each chapter into the master document section by section, then allow Endnote to update. It then squashes the bibliography in a one page frame at the end of each chapter. I then have to remove the frame, as if I do not, when I next allow Endnote to update the references, the previous frames and the bibliographies they contain disappear. So every time I have to go through and remove any frames. I have no idea why the bibliographies are being put in frames, Endnote support seem to have no idea either, which leads me here.

All files are in .docx format. The citations in the document I am copying from all unformatted. Once I have merged the files I then click on 'Update Citations and Bibliography'. This takes a while. I have section breaks after each chapter, immediately before which Endnote is supposed to put the bibliography for each chapter. What normally happens here, is that the bibliography for the first chapter is created and visible (but squashed into a one page frame so that 3/4 of the references are not visible. The rest of the document then becomes inaccessible - i.e. I cannot scroll down, the links in the 'Navigation' pane within Word when clicked then do nothing. If I view the document in 'Outline' view however everything is still there. I can sometimes make the rest of the document be accessible again by deleting some of the blank space characters around the section break after the first chapter, but not always. If the rest of the document becomes visible the bibliographies are either in the frame or not visible at all.

Apologies if that makes little sense, its difficult to explain without having seen it. I realise this post is focussed on problems of Endnote, but I am trying to find out what circumstances within Word would result in parts of a document only being visible in outline view. If I can solve this problem I will be one step closer to an overall solution.

I don't use Endnote so this is working in the dark for me. You may need to make available a sample document which demonstrates your problem in order to work out the issue.

Floating objects and graphics can be problematic in seeing them in each of the document views. If your bibliographies are in a floating frame then this might explain why you only see one page worth of it and your cursor gets lost inside the frame.

If Endnote is NOT responsible for putting the frame there (as their technical support claims) then perhaps it is coming from the paragraph style definition used for those entries. Can you edit that style and 'remove frame'? If you change the style of the bibliography entries to Normal does the frame disappear?
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

thank you guesses, for someone working in the dark you gave me the idea that solved my problem. For the nexts: my endnote bibliography was kept within a frame, a text box, passing over the limit of the page and then being unreadable. I didn't find how to change that on endnote forum but thanks to guessed I had the idea to go into the styles section of word and to change the endnote (yes yes there is one) by disable the "frame" option, simple but you had to think of it, as Colombus eggs.

Bye

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2022 Views 946 Applies to: