Opening Word 2013 doc opens linked files

There was a similar question four years ago that was never answered. When I open a Word 2013 document that has OLE links to other documents, for example to Excel spreadsheets, all of the linked documents are opened in windows on my desktop. I expect them to be accessed if I OK updating the links, but I expect that to happen in the background without opening obvious Excel windows. Is there any way stop Word opening these linked documents?

I have seen similar reports but was not able to reproduce the issue.

As you can reproduce the issue, the best option would be to call ms support and report it to them directly.

Trying to be helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did not know I could call MS support without opening some form of paid support contract with them, and I don't believe I should have to pay to report a bug. Is there really a form of MS support that one can call to report a bug?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This behaviour started with Office 2010 and the only way that I was able to get around it was to use docvariable fields in the document and when required, run a macro to update the values of the variables by accessing the Excel documents.  Admittedly, that was with documents that contained hundreds of links and which otherwise took about 15 minutes to open compared to opening almost instantaneously with earlier versions of Office.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 183 Applies to: