Open File After Publishing to PDF opens file from Cloud in Webapp rather than default PDF app

I run Windows 7 and have the OneDrive app installed so I have a local copy of my OneDrive files. If I open a Word document from my local OneDrive folder and then Export it to PDF, with the "Open File after Publishing" box checked, I'd expect a PDF file to be created in my local OneDrive folder (and updated to the Cloud), and then I'd expect the PDF document to be opened in the default .pdf app. Instead, the document is opened from the Cloud in a browser, in a Word Online page. It is not the Word Webapp, because I can't select and edit things, but the menu bar contains buttons to Edit in Word or Download as an Acrobat file. Is there any way to get back to the functionality of Office 2010, where using Save & Send to PDF/XPS would open the resulting document in Acrobat, and from the local folder?

Hello,

As per the description provided, you would like to know if there is a way to open the PDF file after publishing the Word file using the PDF reader rather than opening from browser.

If you’re saving the file locally on the computer, then it will find the PDF reader app installed on the computer to open it.

If you have saved the file in the network location then it opens using the browser built-in PDF add-in.

For further clarifications, reply and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Not quite. Since I run Windows 7, I have the OneDrive app downloaded and installed so my local OneDrive folder is automatically synched to OneDrive in the Cloud. I open an Excel workbook from the local OneDrive folder, I export to PDF/XPS in that same local OneDrive folder, and the file association for .pdf files on my computer is to Acrobat X. In spite of that, the file opens in a Word Web app from the Cloud. If you'd like to see a PSR playback that happening I can post one.

What you describe is how I would expect it to work, but that's not what's happening.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A PSR would be nice, but if you save a pdf on onedrive and try to open, it would try to open using the word online app. That is how it works.
Trying to be helpful.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in TripApps boat as well.

Also, Elemental's response of "that is how it works" simply is not true. This opening a "saved as" pdf document on OneDrive web app only started happening for me when I upgraded to Windows 10. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 3,585 Applies to: