Office 2013 Windows Explorer preview pane isn't working

For some reason when I click on Word 2013 documents the preview of the document in the Preview pane is not displaying Docx documents properly. It looks like Wingding font. The preview pane works properly for Doc files though.

I have no idea where to start in order to solve this problem. Is there some file that I need to download or restore in order to restore functionality of the preview pane with docx files? Any tips would be appreciated. I've already tried reinstalling the program multiple times and it didn't work. For whatever reason Office does not completely uninstall and leaves behind settings in places I do not know how to locate.

Docx file (Word 2007+): http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/Lurkero/WR-DOCX-Preview.jpg

Doc file (Word 1997-2003): http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/Lurkero/WR-DOC03-Preview.jpg

Hello,

I understand how it makes you feel if Office applications do not work as expected. Let me help you with the issue.

You may follow the steps below in order to set the file association for Word and check if it helps.

1.        Right click a Word file
  2.        Select Open With from the pop-up menu
  3.        Click Choose default Program.
  4.        Select Word in the Programs box
  5.        Check Always use the selected program to open this kind of file
  6.        Click OK.

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance and I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

6.        Click OK.

I've tried setting Word as the default program. It did not work.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

​ 

Hello,

Let's create a new Windows user account by following the steps from the link below and check if it resolves the issue.

Hope the above information is helpful. Let us know if you need any further assistance and I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the problem occurs specifically with *.docx files, did you remember to use the Open With command with a Word file in that format?

Also try repairing Office from Control Panel, which should restore file associations.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the problem is specifically with *.docx files, did you remember to use the Open With command with a Word file in that format?

You should also try repairing Office from Control Panel, which should restore file associations.

Yes, as you can see in the images above the file that properly shows text is a "Word 97-2003" document and the one that does not properly display is a "Word" document. I made sure to use a "Word" document when changing the file association and also went to my default programs in the control panel to check there. Changing that does not affect the display of docx files.

I have also tried to repair and reinstall multiple times. It has not changed the settings. For whatever reason, Office does not completely uninstall from my computer. This means that whatever is causing the problem may never be removed during installation. Could it be some registry file left over from old Office versions? I don't know, but it would be nice if Office actually completely removed itself when I uninstall it. Why would Microsoft do such a thing.

I should also mention that using a different user account solved an issue I had with not being able to view help files, but it did not solve the problem with docx files in the preview pane.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your observation is correct: some settings are left behind when you uninstall and reinstall. There is a KB article that you can use for a complete removal of Office. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501/en-us. However, since uninstalling/reinstalling is time-consuming, you may not want to do that unless it is completely necessary. If the Preview pane is the only problem that you are seeing with *.docx files, you may want to leave things alone (annoying as it is).

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the link, Stefan, but I have tried that as well. Either it did not work properly or I did not do it properly (multiple times). Whatever is causing this issue seems to be a file from a different installation.

It would be really nice if Microsoft would just allow a full uninstall because each time I uninstall with the automatic and manual methods my Office 2013 still has my previous files and associations. I know some of them are saved to my login name, but I am no sure how many are. Even my addons are still there. Why would that be if there was a full uninstall?

At this point I am leaning towards reformatting my whole computer since I am about due for a reformatting anyways.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doesn't fix my issue.

Hello,

I understand how it makes you feel if Office applications do not work as expected. Let me help you with the issue.

You may follow the steps below in order to set the file association for Word and check if it helps.

6.        Click OK.

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance and I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the specific problem you are seeing? Does the preview pane not display files properly or is there an error message?
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2023 Views 2,860 Applies to: