Office 2013 Themes, styles, and fonts missing

Hey All,

I am experiencing an issue with MS Office 2013. Here is the basic config in our OTEC labs: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 32 bit, Office 2013, Office 2010 (recently uninstalled). 

After uninstalling Office 2010, the Styles, Themes, and Fonts (possibly undiscovered options also) in 2013 have lost most of their default options. I was able to get all the default Fonts to reappear by performing a re-install, but the Themes and Styles default options are still missing MOST of their options. I believe there is a correlation with this and something missing in the roaming profile folders associated with Office. Another theory is that something in the registry is incorrectly pointing to the wrong folder when attempting to access these options. I have been told that if the program was installed on the administrator profile during image creation, that the other user profiles created upon first logon may not be seeing them due to access being denied to the Admin profile by Windows 8. Does this make sense? Why would some of the default options be present while others are missing?

Is there a quick fix for this or am I going to have to go to each computer, find each reg setting, and then point them to the proper folder?

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to these kinds of issues, so any help will be much appreciated. If more clarification is necessary, feel free to ask.

Answer
Answer

Before you get into the registry, verify that the files are present. The path to the folder is probably C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2013\Document Themes 15. That folder should contain nine files with a .thmx extension, plus three subfolders (Theme Colors, Theme Effects, and Theme Fonts) containing various .xml files (22 in Colors, 14 in Effects, and 24 in Fonts).

If you don't find some or all of those files, you can copy them from a computer that does have a working set of themes and paste them into the correct locations.

Also check the permissions for the pseudo-user Everyone to the contents of the Document Themes 15 folder to make sure all users can at least read the folder -- they would need Write permission in order to modify the themes.

The setting in the registry is fairly simple: in the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\General, there should be an entry named Themes of type REG_SZ, and the value of that entry should just be the word Themes. That tells Office to use the default location in the Program Files tree. (Technically, it should be possible to place the themes folder in any location, and put the path to that location into the Themes entry. I've never tried that.)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,049 Applies to: