Need Help - dotm - what is this and why can't I open the file

I have some Microsoft Word 97-2003 files on a CD all have the ext. 'doc'.  I'm getting a dotm when trying to reasave it.  Now all of these files, open with a dialogue box "file conversion" with nonesense verbage. I have a choice of Tex encoding.  How can I get these file to open.  I'm using Word 2013. Thanks for any help that can fix this problem.  I need to open these files.  Thanks.  I have another computer with Word 2010 and the same thing happens.  Surely, this problem can be fixed?

File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings (button)

File Block Settings

Uncheck the ones you want to be able to open and save in. All of the word versions before Word 2007 are binary files. They are more subject to corruption (falling apart) and not as "robust."

Those earlier versions are the .doc and .dot files.

The .docx files are documents that do not contain macros. The .docm file is a document that is able to hold macros. .dotx and .dotm files are the corresponding file formats for templates.

Note, the screen shot above is from Word 2010. My guess is that the one from 2013 has another line for Word 2010.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Were the documents "copied" to the CD by a File Backup facility?  If so, you would need to use the associated File Restore facility to copy them to your hard disk so that you can open them.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm quite illiterate when it comes to technology.  The microsoft files were ones from a previous computer but I couldn't open them - the pop-up page was nothing I could decipher; there was were bunch of languages to choose from and I don't know which one to choose.

So, I copied the files (version 97 - 2003) to a CD and opened them on my laptop which has 2013 - I had used this method previously and it worked - the files opened and I could save them as Microsoft Word 2013.  

When I opened the CD on my laptop and was asked to save the document, I got the message about saving dotm.  Not knowing what dotm meant I hit the save file and after that none of the word 97-2003 document would open in word - I just got the popup page with the nonsense listed.  

I would my computer (word files) restored before I hit the dotm message.  I

Why on earth would I get that message -- I understand m stands for macro -- I've never made a macro.  

I thought that no matter what version of word, that 2010 and 2013 would open ANY document created using any previous version of microsoft word.  That doesn't appear to be the case.  Why not?  People have older files using previous versions that they want to open.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know what a File Backup facility is.  I copied the files b y selection and moving them to a CD.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Word 2010 can certainly open documents that were created in Word 97-2003.  If you send me a document or some of the documents, I will investigate the issue.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 586 Applies to: